Novack Café draws crowds for opening

The Novack Caf opened yesterday in Berry Library, drawing a large crowd desperate for a snack bar in a convenient location.

Students flooded the caf this morning, and several studied in the caf area long after it closed for the afternoon.

The caf features sandwiches and soup made in Thayer Dining Hall and snack foods such as cookies and chips. Especially popular during its first busy morning was a new machine that offers Chai tea, cappuccino, and other types of fresh coffee.

Novack is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday to Friday, and 8 p.m. to midnight Sunday to Thursday. It is not staffed 24 hours a day mainly due to staffing difficulties, according to Dartmouth Dining Services Director Tucker Rossiter.

The caf was conceived when the Berry Library was first being planned five years ago.

"It's nice having something like this, finally, on this side of campus," said Meg Cahill '01, who was studying in the caf area this morning.

A 24-hour study area with food was the most requested feature in surveys done for the library project, according to the former head of the Building Committee John Crane.

However, Student Assembly has several complaints about the gray aesthetics of the caf and the lack of 24 hour service, according to Jared Thorne '03, who is responsible for fielding comments.

Students also used the computers in the rooms nearby.

The caf features vending machines of a new design, which offer sodas and vending-machine food 24 hours a day.

Novack is staffed in the morning by two DDS workers and in the evening by student workers.

The caf is named after Kenneth J. Novack '63, who donated the money to fund it.