The Usual Suspects

After reviewing all the candidates for Student Assembly in the upcoming elections, the Dartmouth Editorial Board cannot conscientiously endorse anyone for the office of president or vice president. This is a time for actual change, something none of these candidates is capable of bringing about.

Every candidate conceded that in the Dartmouth community, particularly among the students, the Assembly is regarded as a joke. It is perceived as not possessing any clout. However, realization of the problem is not enough. None of these candidates presented himself or herself as capable of breaking the present conception of the Assembly.

The Assembly president and vice president need to bring both credibility and vision to the office. The leaders of the Assembly must have the respect of the students and the administration while having a plan -- for both student services and larger community issues -- that goes beyond the usual rhetoric. Without these qualities, the Assembly offices will never gain the legitimacy that the candidates are calling for.

The inadequacy of the candidates is most visible in what has been least visible on this campus -- a campaign. Until last week, not a single campaign poster appeared on this campus. If any candidate were truly passionate about saving the image of the Assembly, they would have started enthusiastic public campaigns much sooner.

Most students know an election is coming up. Yet nearly half of the respondents to a recent election poll said they do not care about the upcoming elections. The low attendance of last night's debate is another indication of campus apathy.

The Assembly candidates do hold certain positive ideas. Many recognize the need for a more representative Assembly -- although debate exists on how to do that -- and an Assembly that is actually accountable to the campus. It is also good that they continue to call for an institutional voice for students.

None of these ideas, however, was enough for us to stand behind any candidate and offer our endorsement. The fact remains that the Assembly is considered a joke, and it is time to bring some credibility to the organization. Unfortunately, no one running can accomplish this important task.