The quest for the holy grail

Well, the time has come folks. The Stanley Cup Finals are upon us. The last stretch of the long haul that began in early October starts tonight. Twenty-eight teams began the season with the glimmer of hope that they would sip from the Cup on one humid night in early June. That faint glimmer of hope is now almost a reality for two teams -- the Dallas Stars and New Jersey Devils.

Yes, I know you are all thinking, "But Mike, you didn't have either of those teams in the finals in your predictions." Well, I must admit, I didn't predict either the Stars or the Devils to be in the Cup finals. Despite my own miscalculations, this match-up should come as no big surprise. The defending champion Stars have been underestimated all year long, with most publicity in the Western Conference going to the St. Louis Blues and Colorado Avalanche.

Then there are the New Jersey Devils. Everyone's favorite chokers have put together an impressive run in the playoffs, and they are looking to recapture the success that propelled them to the Cup in 1995. The series is sure to be a good one, as both teams play a rugged defensive style, but have some flashy offensive players to make the SportsCenter highlights exciting. So, the question is, how will this match-up play out? Will the Stars make it two in a row, or will the Devils prove they are more than just a regular season team?

The Stars emerged from the West after a hard-fought seven-game series with the Aves. In what many considered to be the premier showdown of the playoffs, the Stars validated the maxim that offense fills seats, but defense wins championships. Backed by the rock-solid Eddie Belfour in net and Derian Hatcher and Sergei Zubov on the blueline, Dallas was able to shut down Joe Sakic, Chris Drury and Colorado's other guns. The Stars held the Aves' high-powered offense to only 13 goals in seven games.

Brett Hull and Mike Modano have provided the bulk of the Stars' offense, with 20 and 19 points respectively. While it would be expected that these high-flying players would be leading the team, it is the Stars' depth that is impressive. Players like Joe Nieuwendyk, Jamie Langenbrunner and Scott Thornton have been playing above all expectations.

Much like the Stars, New Jersey relies primarily on defense and superb goaltending. However, an unlikely cast of offensive stars made the difference against the Flyers in the conference finals. The Devils have no forward of the caliber of Hull or Modano, but Patrick Elias, Peter Sykora and Jason Arnott can try their best to pretend. These forwards, who would skate on any other team's second line, have produced when needed. Elias was the unlikely star of game seven against Philly, when he scored both Devils goals in a 2-1 game. These forwards may not strike fear in the hearts of opposing coaches, but they should.

As mentioned above, the Devils' strength lies in their own end. They play a suffocating style of defense that can disarm any team's offense. Though it is a team effort with the Devils, specific attention must paid to one player -- Scott Stevens. The veteran defenseman has been a rock on the Devils blueline for years, and seems to improve with time. At 6'1", 215, he gets more bang for his buck than defensemen who have three inches and 20 pounds on him. He has made many an unsuspecting forward pay for crossing the blueline with his head down. Just ask Eric Lindros.

The difference in the series will come down to the goalies, as is the case in most series. Belfour and Martin Brodeur are both top-notch, with playoff credentials. Their statistics during this years' playoffs are comparable, and don't signify an obvious winner. Intangibles are what will dictate the winner. Which goalie can tune out the hoopla and concentrate on the game at hand? Which goalie can overcome adversity? My answer is Brodeur.

Brodeur has something to prove this year. He wants to silence the critics who question his ability to win big games once and for all. He will do this. My prediction: New Jersey in seven games. Just like 1995, Brodeur will carry the Devils, and they will taste champagne out of the noblest cup of all. You can hold me to that, too.