Michael P. Hamilton
The Setonian
Sports

New line key to hockey victory

While four points would have been ideal this weekend, it is safe to say the Big Green men's hockey squad will settle for one impressive win over Rensselaer and one huge load lifted off their backs. The four-game losing streak was snapped in the grandest of fashions in the 7-3 victory, as the offense that had been sleeping for several games awoke with a start and exploded for seven goals. The confidence problem that had plagued the squad in the last few weeks was not visible last night.

The Setonian
Sports

An End of an Era

Today there is no joy in Mudville. The entire community of baseball fans, diehards and casual fans alike, has learned it will soon be losing the epitome of the durable, gritty and, above all, reliable ballplayer. Yes, that is right folks, baseball's Iron Man, Cal Ripken, Jr., will be hanging up his spikes at the end of this season. You may remember Ripken as the man who broke Lou Gehrig's seemingly unbreakable record of 2,130 consecutive games in 1995.

The Setonian
Sports

Big Green squeaks by UVM

Lake Placid, N.Y. " Just when you though it was all over, they came through. Mike Maturo '02 and Kent Gillings '03 to be exact. The two members of Dartmouth's production line put their ECAC preliminary game with Vermont into overtime, and then won it 3-2.

More articles »