Unsurprised students say Trustees ignored their input

There were no protests or rallies directed at College administrators yesterday. Nor was there much clamor in the student areas around campus, or signs of disbelief throughout the drizzly day.

For the most part, students greeted the second phase of the Trustee Initiative on Social and Residential Life with a subdued reaction, if only because few of the suggestions outlined in College President James Wright and Trustee Chair William H. King's letter to the student body came as a surprise to any of them.

But there was a simmering feeling among many students that their opinions weren't fully taken into account.

More than a year after Wright enraged much of the student body with his pledge to revamp the fraternity and sorority system, students have come to regard the Initiative with continuing skepticism, but with little of the anger that characterized the first months of the process.

"I guess I didn't really like it, but I don't think it was nearly as bad as it could have been and no real surprises," Jennifer Feltner '01 said of the Trustee letter.

"The section about the Greek system showed that they pretty much ignored what was said about student opinion," Feltner added.

Most students contacted by The Dartmouth took issue with what they considered a paternalistic attitude on the part of the Trustees, and said they were disappointed that the Board did not incorporate more student ideas in formulating the decisions.

The Trustees' recommendations that rush be moved to Winter term, that the refrigerated tap system be eliminated, that the moratorium on new Greek houses be continued and that a UGA reside in CFS buildings were, in particular, viewed as counter to student majority opinion.

"I'm sure they took student opinion into account, but it's always a question of which student opinion," Benjamin Doyle '02 said. "It wasn't a vote, obviously, but I think it probably ended up looking a lot like what the Trustees initially wanted."

While most students disagreed with the implications of the second phase for Greek organizations, they were more receptive to the changes proposed for residential and graduate life, as well as the World Culture Initiative.

Most students said they believe that an enhanced cluster system " and particularly the new dormitories it would bring to the campus " would have the beneficial impact of adding more social options to campus life.

"Having more activities around a cluster could be a really good thing," Steve Park '01 said.

Exclusive freshman housing, however, remains more controversial.

"It sounds good in theory," said Sara Irom '02, "but I think part of the reason our campus works so well is that there's such an integration of classes. I think [freshman-only housing] works better at colleges where freshmen tend to get lost, but I don't think we need it on this campus."

Feltner agreed. "I know during my freshman year, I made so many friends in the upper classes because we were so mixed up."

Nonetheless, the students contacted by The Dartmouth did not immediately associate the residential and cultural issues with the Trustee Initiative.

Some students agreed with Wright and King's assessment that the Initiative will enhance social and residential life at the College, but felt that the process has limited the realization of such a prospect.

"Dartmouth could definitely have a better residential system, and more social space and more social options," said Irom. "But the way they're carrying this out is wrong. They're just frustrating and alienating the students."

There was also agreement that the Initiative's stated goal of reducing alcohol consumption is something of a fruitless attempt.

"I don't really see what it's going to change, it's not going to stop drinking. I don't see any huge transformation because of the nit-picky changes," Clinton Soper '03 said.

Students were unsure if the Trustees' decision to relinquish implementation to the administration would mean greater opportunity for their input in the process.

"I think it's better that the administration take over than the Trustees," said Jared Geller '03. "I think it's important to keep things as close to the campus as possible in terms of having our voices heard."

Park, however, was less certain. "I see it as not much of a change, I still think it's far out of students' control," he said.