CFSC elects Etu President

At a crucial point in its history, the Coed Fraternity Sorority Council elected Eric Etu '01as its new president last night

Etu, a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity, replaces outgoing president Jaimie Paul '00.

Benita Perch '01, a member of Kappa Delta Epsilon Sorority replaces Chris Paolino '00 as Vice-President.

The new president and vice-president, as well as five other newly elected officers, assumed their positions last night and will serve on the council for the remainder of this term, as well as the Spring and Fall terms. A separate council will be elected for the summer term.

Etu said his first concern will be coordinating a response to the steering committee recommendation report, which is expected to be released early next week.

"Because of the diversity in the system, it will be very hard to come to an agreement," Etu said. "There are 14 fraternities, with memberships ranging from 30 to 100 students, six sororities, five historically minority membership houses and three coeducational houses which the council has to represent."

Etu served as the CFSC secretary this past summer and fall. He currently serves as chaplain for a house, a position he described as a mentor for other members.

Etu said he also had other major concerns he would like to address in the upcoming year adding that he wanted the council to be proactive rather than reactive on campus issues.

One issue of particular concern to him is sexual assault.

"The way that the Committee on Standards deals with sexual assault is embarrassing to the college, and this is one thing I will push to change," he said.

The penalties for sexual assault and harassment are less severe than those for plagiarism or cheating, Etu said.

He said he also hopes to build a better relationship between the College administration and members of the CFS houses.

Etu is considered to be more moderate than some other well known Greek leaders when it comes to the Initiative and changes to the Greek system at Dartmouth.

Etu told The Dartmouth on Wednesday that he was "not looking to fight" the steering committee recommendations report but to take the proposals as "positive suggestions."

Perch is currently the programming chair for her house, a position she also held last summer.

"I am very interested in having a voice and maintaining the reputation of the system," Perch said.

Newly elected secretary Nick Moringo '01 replaces Allison Thomas '00. Moringo is the current treasurer for his fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon. He also served as summer secretary for his house.

Steven Devecchi '01, a member of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, replaces Kevan Higgins '00 as Treasurer.

Alpha Delta brother Raj Chowdhury '02 and Sigma Delta sister Lindsay Reich '01 will share role of programming liaison for the upcoming year and help coordinate CFSC-wide activities such as Greek Week.

"I'd really love to work with organizations outside the Greek system," Reich said, adding that she had worked with several college administrators on events this summer as the CFSC summer programming liaison.

Praveen Jayasinghe '02, a member of Kappa Kappa Kappa Fraternity is the new social events manager replacing Chris Burnett '01. Jayasinghe is also currently the rush chair for Tri-Kap.

All members of the CFS system were eligible to run for positions.

The seven officers were elected from a field of twenty candidates during a closed-door meeting of the members of the CFSC, the governing body of the Greek system at Dartmouth, last night.