Alumni name Trustee candidates

The Alumni Council has announced its three candidates for the alumni trustee seat that will be vacated by Richard Page '54 this June.

Michael Chu '68, Kevin Ross '77 and Maxwell Anderson '77 are all up for the soon to be open seat on the board.

The ballots will be mailed to all 60,000 living alumni in March and must be returned within a month. The new member will assume his duties during the summer.

While the elections will take place during continued debate about the Social and Residential Life Initiative, Chairman of the Board of Trustees William King '63 said this trustee changeover is unlikely to affect the Initiative decision process because the board hopes to finish the process by June.

"The candidates are not participating in the discussions occurring right now," King said, emphasizing the need to make decisions with the current makeup of the board.

The Alumni Council spends many hours researching and interviewing potential candidates for Trustee positions.

Anderson is the director of the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York City. He has also served as director of the Art Gallery of Ontario and held a curator position at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

An art history major at Dartmouth, Anderson received several art awards here. He also served as an editor of the Jack-O-Lantern humor magazine and was a member of the varsity karate team.

He went on to receive his A.M. and Ph.D. degrees in art history from Harvard University.

Chu is president and CEO of ACCION International, a Boston-based non-profit organization that fights poverty through microlending. ACCION is one of the world's leading microfinance organizations, bringing small loans to the smallest and poorest businesses. Before joining ACCION, Chu was a limited partner at Kohlberg, Kravis, Roberts & Co.

A government major, Chu was involved with The Dartmouth, Jack-O-Lantern, the Undergraduate and Interdormitory Councils and the Tucker Foundation's Upward Bound program.

He was also a member of the rugby team and Foley House/Delta Upsilon.

After Dartmouth, Chu received his MBA from Harvard, where he was a Baker scholar.

Ross is a partner at the Atlanta law firm of Hunton and Williams. He worked with the Centennial Olympic organizers and the Atlanta Hawks as a land use planning specialist and he chaired the City of Atlanta Charter Review Commission.

He has been active in state and municipal political campaigns and elections. Ross also is an adjunct professor of civil rights and election law at Emory University.

At Dartmouth, Ross majored in economics before going on to law school at Emory. He is now a member of the Dartmouth Alumni Council.

In addition to the candidates nominated by the Alumni Council, other alumni can be put on the ballot by petition. They must obtain 500 alumni signatures by February 15.

There are seven alumni trustees on the 16 member board, each of whom must be nominated by the alumni and then elected by the Board of Trustees.

Another seven charter trustees are nominated and elected by the board itself. The president of the College and the governor of New Hampshire fill the remaining two seats on the Board.

Page, who will vacate his position in June, has served for 10 years on the Board of Trustees.

During his two terms, Page has been most instrumental in securing funds for the College through leadership on The Will to Excel capital campaign, King said.

"Dick Page's legacy is going to be in his continued interest in the financial well being of the institution," King said. "That was most evident in his leadership of the capital campaign."

In addition, Page's tenure spanned a large portion of James Freedman's term as president of the College and the corresponding effort toward improving intellectual life at Dartmouth.

He also saw the confirmation of James Wright as the current president of the College.