Women's hockey earns one point on weekend

The Dartmouth women's ice hockey team's fight for home ice in the playoffs came to a valiant end this weekend as Dartmouth lost to top-ranked Harvard 4-3 on Saturday and tied Northeastern 0-0 yesterday, with both games ending in overtime.

The events of the weekend dropped Dartmouth to sixth place in the league with 31 points on the season.

The coveted fourth place position, and its home ice advantage in the playoffs, is held comfortably by the Northeastern Huskies with 36 points.

The final two games of the season for the Big Green against Brown and Providence will determine whose ice Dartmouth will have to travel to once the playoffs begin.

It is very possible that their first round opponent will indeed be those very same Northeastern Huskies.

Despite only grabbing one point, Dartmouth's performance this weekend was excellent .

The team proved it could play on an even level with the best in the nation. What's more, their experience gained on the road this weekend will make their first-round battle away from home slightly less intimidating.

"We showed we can compete with anyone," Liz Macri '01 said. "We didn't play our best against Northeastern and we still tied them. I think we made them nervous [heading into the playoffs.]"

"We were disappointed in the loss to Harvard," Wendy Soutsos '99 said. "They had their superstars, but we played better as a team."

Dartmouth played catch-up on Saturday against Harvard and eventually time just ran out for the comeback.

Harvard scored first with approximately seven minutes left to play in the first period.

But, Corren Bredin '02 evened things up for Dartmouth five-and-half-minutes later.

The Crimson went ahead again in the second before Macri tied things up at the 15:27 mark.

The score remained knotted for about eight minutes before Harvard regained the lead once again, 3-2.

Carrie Sekela '01 kept Dartmouth alive with a goal five minutes later.

Both teams fought hard to gain the advantage before the buzzer sounded to signify the end the third period, but neither goalie would give in.

The Crimson scored the triumphant goal in overtime. Dartmouth goalie Meaghan Cahill '01 made 26 saves on the day.

Yesterday, the girls came out a little flat after the disappointing loss to Harvard the day before.

In spite of this, the team outshot Northeastern 27-23 and finished the game in a tie.

If the Big Green does face off against Northeastern in the first round of the playoffs, it should be one of the tightest contests in the ECAC's first round.