Team debates role of Greek system

In a discussion in which accusations of injustice by the administration were countered by calls for greater social diversity at the College, members of the Parliamentary Debate Team argued in Hinman Forum last night about the College's plans to change the Greek system.

Approximately 15 people watched as Tim Waligore '01 and Justin Gary '02 , debaters in favor of the initiative, squared off against teammates Steve Menashi '01 and Victor Wang '01.

During the debate titled "Is Wright Wrong?" the affirmative side lambasted many aspects of the Greek system and its practices, including its exclusivity and prevalent use of alcohol. The opposition focused on the need for students to make their own decisions and argued that the administration should not interfere with students' social lives.

Waligore said that the Greek houses discriminate through their selection processes.

"You do not choose -- you are chosen," he said.

He said the Greek system limits social options on campus because individuals either go to fraternities or "don't do much at all."

Waligore also criticized the atmosphere of the dirty fraternity basements where drinking prevails. He said abolishing the Greek system "won't magically get rid of drinking," but could curb excesses.

Gary also said fraternities and sororities inhibit campus life.

The "great social pressure forcing us into the Greek system," Gary said, often puts activities sponsored by non-Greek organizations such as Asgard out in the cold.

He also said single-sex environment of Greek organizations do not prepare students for the "real world."

The opposition to the Trustee's initiative attacked its validity.

Wang said accusations that fraternities promote stereotypes about different types of people are unfair. He said similar people attract each other in all social realms, and he finds it distasteful that through the administration's resolution, "the College wants to dictate who our friends are."

Wang criticized the forceful nature of the resolution and said once students do not have the "active choice to choose what you want to do," the idea of liberalism is destroyed.

Menashi praised the Greek system for providing a "thriving" student-run social space and criticized the College's display of "moral chauvinism" and "paternalism."

Menashi said single-sex environments are also provided by campus groups other than Greek organizations. Certain meetings of the Dartmouth Rainbow Alliance and the Women's Resource Center exclude on the basis of gender, he said.

That exclusion is not necessarily bad and can "allow for feelings of openness" and "personal development," he said.