Alum donates $1.5 mil to skiway

The Dartmouth Skiway has received a gift of $1.5 million from Andy McLane '69 and Linda McLane, the first donation in a $4-million campaign to construct a new lodge and improve snowmaking capabilities.

Skiway Manager Donald Cutter said the current lodge is too small to meet the Skiway's needs, and the variations in local weather patterns have created the need for greater snowmaking capabilities. The current lodge, built in 1956, was designed for 5,000 to 10,000 skier visits annually, while more than 40,000 skiers visit the Skiway today.

Cutter said the gift is the first sum of money that has been raised in the campaign.

The McLanes, who live in Weston, Mass., agreed to donate the money in memory of Andy McLane's father, Peter McLane '37, who, along with other members of the family, loved Dartmouth, New Hampshire, skiing and the outdoors.

"Growing up in New Hampshire, I learned from my father a love for the state, its outdoors, mountains, skiing and of course, the College," Andy McLane said in a statement. "With this background in mind, I wanted to do something in memory of him and my numerous relatives who have enjoyed Dartmouth and skiing and ski racing."

Director of Public Affairs Rick Adams said he "absolutely" expects that the entire $3 million to replace the lodge and $1 million to increase snowmaking will be raised.

The McLane family has been connected with the Skiway since it was first created.

McLane was a member of the Ski Patrol when he was a student at the College. He is presently a member of the board of the United States Ski and Snowboard Team Foundation and is senior managing director at TA Associates, a private equity investment firm with offices in Boston, Mass. and Menlo Park, Calif.

In 1953, College Vice President John Meck approached Andy McLane's great uncle, John "Judge" McLane '07, a former Trustee of the College, with a plan to construct a ski facility in Lyme. Judge McLane worked with former College President John Sloan Dickey to champion the cause and was influential in the development of the facility, dedicated in January 1957.

Although it is not included in the current campaign, Cutter said the chairlift on the Holt's side of the Skiway is scheduled to be replaced in 2005.