Carnival crowns first King and Queen Dog

Carnival King Toby, owned by Sarah Harris '00 and Queen Ceiley, owned by Kevan Higgins '00 and the house dog of Bones Gate fraternity, were crowned last night at the Carnival opening ceremonies.

Even this year's first King and Queen Dog of Dartmouth contest was affected by President Wright's recent residential life announcements.

In thanking the crowd for his dog's honor, Higgins announced "I just want to say this dog's unaffiliated but she supports the Greek system."

The announcement echoed t-shirts being worn by students unaffiliated with Greek houses during the ceremonies.

The winning dogs received the glory of being Carnival Monarchs and a special collar, said Dana Neutze '00, chair of the Winter Carnival's opening ceremonies committees and the organizer of the Dog Contest.

"Dogs are such an important part of campus and the dog show just tied so well into this year's theme," Neutze said.

Dartmouth students have been voting for their favorite King and Queen Dogs during the week leading up to Carnival.

Campus canines who entered the contest have had their photos on display at the Collis Center Information Desk. These dogs, from mutts and purebred puppies, were nominated by their proud owners. With each purchase at a Collis eatery, students received a dog biscuit that allowed them to vote for their favorite canine.

Biscuits were placed under the photos of each dog. The dogs with the most biscuits will be proclaimed the College's Dog Royalty.

Most of the dogs were owned by individual students, however, several Greek houses, including Bones Gate and Alpha Delta fraternities entered their canine companions.

For those who want to participate in more dog tributes, this year's events also include two Human Dogsled Races.