Freshman Council elects class officers

Members of the Class of 2002 elected the four officers of the Freshman Class last Wednesday -- selecting Josh Warren as president and Rohin Dhar as vice president.

Scott Given was elected treasurer of the council while Sylvie Liberman was elected as the council's secretary.

Warren drew attention to himself this past weekend when he was arrested after rushing the field during the Homecoming football game Saturday. Despite the arrest, however, Warren said he thinks he will remain in his position as Freshman Council president.

While Warren said he was not a class officer in high school, he describes himself as "one of those political kids," who was interested in George Bush and Bill Clinton at a young age.

As president, Warren will preside over the general class council meetings on Wednesday nights as well as attend all Freshman Council committee meetings and Executive Council meetings.

Although Warren admits he is still in the process of learning what his responsibilities will be as president and is meeting this Thursday with last year's Freshman Council president Amar Dhand '01 to receive further advice and direction. He said he already has some plans for the upcoming year.

"There are two main goals for our class council -- to try to promote community by drawing people out through programs and activities and to work on fundraising," Warren said.

Along with sponsoring activities that he said might include a class trip or a booth at the Winter Carnival, Warren said he wants to help make the transition from high school to college easier for freshmen by creating a sense of unity within the class.

As vice president, Dhar said he will work closely with Warren to plan events for the freshman class. It is Dhar's responsibility to preside over the Executive Council meetings, which are gatherings for the four officers as well as the chairs of each Freshman Council committee.

Dhar said he was the vice president of his high school class, but said that was not his motivation for running for a council position in college.

"I wanted the opportunity to work with all of the different and talented people involved in class council," he said. Dhar also said he wants to build excitement among the class members in order to have successful activities.

Liberman said she came into the election for secretary with previous experience as the vice president and president of her high school class during alternate years.

"I loved it in high school, and it makes it that much better in college," she said.

As secretary, Liberman said she will also attend all committee, executive and general class meetings. She is responsible for recording the minutes at both executive and general council meetings, and is in the process of creating a class survey to send to all members of the Class of 2002.

Liberman said she also wants to make sure the general council members are not overshadowed by the executive council in the decision-making process.

Warren said the officers met for the first time over lunch and are already confident they will make a good team. All of the officers said they hope to involve as much of the class as possible in activities and fundraising during the upcoming year.