Japanese filmmaker to be honored tonight

Looking for a once-in-a-lifetime experience tonight? The Dartmouth Film Society will be giving a tribute to Japanese director Susumi Hani in the Loew Auditorium.

The tribute, which will take place at 7:30 p.m. tonight, will include clips from several of Hani's film plus the full screening of one of his feature films, "She and He," a film that literally cannot be seen anywhere, including video, except Dartmouth tonight. Afterwards, a question and answer session will take place.

Hani might be relatively unknown to many US audiences, but that does not diminish his fine film career. He has been credited with changing and influencing a "New Wave" of Japanese filmmaking.

Hani received a tribute this year at the Telluride Film Festival, and he is currently the focus of a major retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art.

His films often adopt documentary techniques, maintain a devotion to children and adolescents and focus on poor and working class families. Characters in his films are frequently seeking to learn and understand their own identities.

Tonight's tribute will provide a rare and valuable experience for students. Other honorees have included Meryl Streep, Robert Redford and Oliver Stone.