Escape the Crowds of Food Court

I just got back from Food Court, and it was far from a pretty experience.

I cannot recall a single time last year when Food Court was so claustrophobic and when its lines were so beastly, but this past week, Food Court has been a trauma and a half. Tonight's dinner and last Friday's lunch were particularly horrific, probably because Home Plate is closed on Saturdays and Sundays. I was mildly miffed by the line to get a sandwich; I was somewhat concerned by the mob around the salad bar; but I was traumatized by the line for buying my food. At about 6:30, only one cashier was open, and its line snaked all the way back to where you can get pizza. While the line inched forward, I considered several scenarios:

I could steal my tray of delicacies. What was the worst thing that could happen to me? The FC manager would tackle me in front of my peers. But while Safety and Security was coming to cuff me, I could choke down my sandwich and gulp up my Pepsi.

I could sit down and eat my food while waiting in line. Again, if I was apprehended, I could stuff down my meal before S&S arrived.

I could make this my last visit to FC.

However, none of these are feasible options. If tackled by the FC manager, I'd probably get a concussion, and I'm not very fond of pain or humiliation. And if I stopped frequenting FC, I'd end up living off of cereal and vending machine fare.

I could rail against FC and demand that they hire more efficient employees. But I don't think that's the case. The student working the lone cashier at FC tonight seemed to be the definition of efficiency. He served everyone as quickly as possible and did not even seem overwhelmed by the mammoth line. So maybe FC could hire more help, but I'm not going to argue for that either. I'm sure Dining Services follows a careful budget and does everything within its means to serve us.

No, there is only one thing that is going to reduce FC's congestion -- less people have to eat there. I have a suspicion that not enough '02s are taking advantage of Hanover's fine eating establishments. And with good reason, of course. How are they supposed to know where to eat in town?

And, if you do know where to eat, maybe economics restricts you. I myself don't have unlimited funds, so I have to watch how often I go out to eat. But believe me, it is possible to eat well and cheaply in town. So if I may be so bold, I give you Courtney's Crash Course in Cheap Hanover Cuisine.

When you've only got quarters in your pocket and a buck or two, I'd like to suggest Ramunto's. For just a few bucks, you can get a piece of cheese Sicilian pizza and a root beer. This place happens to be my favorite eatery in town.

My roommate's favorite place to eat cheaply is Panda House. She swears that if you don't order off the main menu, you can still get an affordable, delicious, filling meal. Personally, I like to get the cheapest bowl of soup and then mooch off my friends' leftovers. And, of course, you get a fortune cookie to wash it all down.

I probably don't need to recommend this, but cheap meals can always be had at Subway. If you're going to go with Subway, though, I'd recommend taking your meal back to a dorm room, unless you favor the fast food atmosphere.

Please don't take this as the end-all discussion of good, dirt-cheap food in Hanover. EBA's has some cheap options, as does Murphy's. I just thought I'd recommend a few dining alternatives. Consider this my feeble attempt to relieve the crowds at FC.

As the term progresses, I'm sure the crowds will thin (a bit), and, if not, then it won't be the end of the world. Maybe it's a good sign that FC is so crowded. If everyone avoided FC like it was the Bubonic plague, that would concern me. But in the words of my roommate, "Please, explore your options." And next Saturday night, you won't find me eating in FC.