Most freshmen will go on trips

With the first trip section scheduled to arrive in Hanover a month from today, more members of the Class of 2002 are expected to participate in the Dartmouth Outing Club's freshman trips program than any class in history.

Approximately 970 of the 1,100 students in the Class of 2002 -- almost 90 percent -- are currently signed up to go on a freshman trip, according to DOC Assistant Trips Director Dana Loebman '00.

Loebman said the DOC sent out the second mailing to members of the Class of 2002 last Friday. The mailing notified each freshman of the type of trip they would be going on, as well as the dates of their trip section.

In the first mailing, freshmen were asked to select their preferences for dates and types of trips -- which included climbing, canoeing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking, horseback riding, organic farming and five levels of hiking.

As in years past, the majority of freshmen will take part in hiking trips. This year, 656 students are expected to participate in hiking trips.

Although no new trips were offered to freshmen in the original mailing this year, Loebman said it is likely a new road biking trip will be added.

"It's still in the works so it's not definite yet," Loebman said. "But it's probably going to happen."

Some members of the Class of 2002 who selected mountain biking as their first choice and mentioned having road biking experience on their applications will likely be called by DOC trips planners in upcoming weeks and asked if they would like to participate in a road biking trip.

Trips from the nine trip sections will be led by 189 leaders, who were selected from an applicant pool of more than 380 College students -- the highest number of applicants ever -- during Spring term.

The first section of trips are scheduled to arrive in Hanover on September 3 while the ninth and final section will leave Hanover on September 16.