Increase in vandalism reported this summer

Although there were no major incidents of crime at the College this summer, many minor incidents -- especially vandalism and bike theft -- kept Safety and Security officers busy, according to Crime Prevention Officer Rebel Roberts.

There was an increase in vandalism complaints this summer, including damage to vehicles and campus buildings which included broken property and spray-paint graffiti, according to Roberts.

Roberts said she believes many of the incidents can be attributed to non-students who come to campus. The summer's warm weather brings more non-students to campus than during any other term, Roberts said.

To combat this problem, Roberts said, Safety and Security officers often issue trespass letters to individuals with no connection to the College who are found in campus buildings. If an individual who has been given a letter is found on campus again, officers can then have them arrested on charges of trespassing.

During the period between July 22nd and August 19th, nine bicycles valued at $2,760 were reported stolen, according to Roberts. This number is considerably less than the 77 bikes reported stolen Spring term, Roberts said.

Roberts said the high number of bike thefts during Spring term, and since, is a reflection of their increased cost, which has brought professional thieves to campus to steal bikes. She also said many students do an inadequate job of locking their bikes, which makes it possible for thieves who come to campus in cars to steal bikes without much trouble.

"We're seeing a lot more professionals coming on campus and taking them," Roberts said. "If a bike is just locked to itself, it's easy for someone with a car to pick the whole bike up and take it away."

Safety and Security recovered six bicycles, between July 22 and August 19, that had previously been reported as stolen, according to Roberts.