Sophomore found at Organic Farm

College sophomore Katrina Steinmetz, who disappeared last Wednesday afternoon, was found early Friday morning at the Dartmouth Organic Farm, about one mile north of campus on Lyme Road.

The Hanover Police and Safety and Security located Steinmetz after she called her father -- who arrived on campus last Thursday to assist in the search -- to inform him of her whereabouts around 6 a.m. on Friday, according to Detective Sgt. Frank Moran.

Steinmetz reportedly made the call to her father after she checked messages on her answering machine in her room and discovered that her father was on campus searching for her, Moran said.

Steinmetz's father then drove to the farm to pick her up, Moran said.

Steinmetz could not be reached for comment.

Moran declined to comment on how or why Steinmetz had gotten to the organic farm. He also declined to comment on Steinmetz's emotional or physical state when her father picked her up, but said she is currently in the care of her family.

Moran said no official police ground search for Steinmetz had been conducted to prevent "unnecessary confusion or alarm" among students.

"Our only concern was making sure that she was okay," Moran said. "Thank goodness, she turned up."

Before her disappearance, Steinmetz was last seen around 4 p.m. at her sorority house, Alpha Xi Delta, at 6 Webster Avenue, where she is residing for the summer.

BlitzMail messages about Steinmetz's disappearance circulated the campus Thursday afternoon urging students to report on her whereabouts.