Dartmouth student missing

The Hanover Police Department and Safety and Security are investigating the whereabouts of College sophomore Katrina Steinmetz, who has reportedly been missing since Wednesday afternoon.

Steinmetz was last seen Wednesday afternoon around 4 p.m. in her sorority house, Alpha Xi Delta, at 6 Webster Avenue, where she is residing for the summer.

The police do not suspect foul play and Steinmetz is believed to be taking medication, according to the news report.

Steinmetz's bicycle is reportedly missing, according to Safety and Security officers who searched all of the bicycle racks on campus, said Steinmetz's roommate, Laura Adams '00.

"I'm just hoping for the best and we're all praying for her," Adams said. "We're just hoping she walks in the door any minute."

BlitzMail messages about Steinmetz's disappearance have been circulating the campus since yesterday afternoon urging students to report on her whereabouts, if known.

"People who know her are very concerned," Associate Director of Public Affairs Roland Adams said last night.

"Her whereabouts still aren't known," he said.

Acting Dean of the College Dan Nelson and Steinmetz's parents have been contacted about her disappearance, and her father is on campus assisting investigators with the search, Roland Adams said.

Steinmetz's father could not be reached for comment last night.

Police urge anyone who has any information regarding Steinmetz's whereabouts to contact the Hanover Police Department at 643-2222.