The Dartmouth takes you on a culinary tour of Hanover

If you are looking for the perfect weekend of eating in Hanover and a change from Dartmouth Dining Services, you are in the right place. Below is a guide to what, where and when you should eat this weekend.

Friday night is pizza night, because with all of that partying, pizza is the only thing you will have time for. Fortunately, Hanover is not lacking in pizza.

First, check out the recently opened Ramunto's Brick 'N Brew (643-9500, 68 South Main). Ramunto's arguably makes the best-tasting pizza in Hanover and sells Garlic Knots to die for. No-topping pizzas go for $7.95 for a 14-inch, $8.95 for a 16-inch and $1.50 by the slice. Also, the calzones are inexpensive and very tasty.

Also selling pizza is Everything But Anchovies (643-6135, 5 Allen), ranging from $4.00 for an 8-inch to $25.00 for a 24-inch. As the name implies, EBAs also makes soups, salads, sandwiches, subs, pasta and Mexican dinner entrees, all for very reasonable prices. A plus is their free and prompt delivery (order breakfast in bed on Sunday) and Big Green sports memorabilia on their walls.

If you have not had enough pizza yet, Foodee's (643-8852, 45 Lyme) won the Best Pizza in New England Contest in 1990 and cooks pizzas with over 40 different toppings, five different crusts and with many international twists. Prices range from $4 to $17 for the smallest and largest pizzas.

Lastly, C&A's House of Pizza (643-2966, 17 Lebanon) also sells pizza, pasta and grinders for sensible prices ranging from $4.50 to $7.25 for the smallest and largest pizzas.

Saturday morning, you will definitely need a big breakfast from Lou's (643-3321, 30 S. Main) to kick off your day. The blueberry pancakes are the best in Hanover, and the rest of the breakfast food, such as the huge omelettes and French toast, is yummy as well. Take a few homemade muffins, cookies, pies and pastries for the road; you will not regret it. Meals cost from $5 to $8. Dress is casual; get there early because Lou's usually has a long wait.

Lunch on Saturday should be at Murphy's on the Green (643-4075, 11 S. Main) where entrees range from $13.95 to $15.95 and sandwiches range from $5.95 to $7.95. Pick up one of those chicken pesto sandwiches, or if you prefer, the seafood is scrumptious and the appetizers are good. Murphy's also caters to sports fans with their tavern-like atmosphere including bar, lounge, dartboard and big screen television.

Saturday night, try some international cuisine. For example, Panda House Chinese Restaurant (643-1290, 3 Lebanon) cooks up some excellent Chinese food. Prices go from $5 for appetizers to $15 for entrees, and free delivery is available. Try the almond chicken, sushi and a scorpion bowl to treat those taste buds. Reservations are recommended; dress is casual but clean.

Also catering Chinese is the new China Lite (643-6868, 68 S. Main). Serving classic take-out Chinese, appetizers go from $4.15 to $7.75 and entrees go from $4.75 to $10.75. Of note are the Lo-Mein dinner for two ($15.75) and the dinner specials, which give many choices at only $7.30.

Mrs. Ou's (643-8866, 44 S. Main) makes Cantonese cuisine prepared by chefs from Fu's in New York City. Entrees range from $5 to $17.50 for soft-shelled crab.

If Chinese is not to your liking, try The Jewel of India (643-2217, 27 Lebanon) for Indian cuisine, vegetarian dishes and free delivery. Main courses range from $6.95 to $17.95 and include seafood, chicken, beef and vegetable curries. Dress is casual; reservations are necessary this weekend.

Also serving Indian cuisine is the new India Queen (643-6900, 44 S. Main). The restaurant serves a large variety of chicken, lamb, seafood and vegetarian dishes. Lunches go from $3.95 to $6.50 for the Shrimp Tandoori, and main courses go from $6.50 to $12.95 for the most traditional Indian meals. Dress is casual; reservations are recommended.

If you prefer traditional international food, Cafe Buon Gustaio (643-5711, 72 South Main) is the place to go. Known for their great Italian dishes and pleasant atmosphere, they also have an extensive wine list. Reservations are recommended, but dress is casual.

If you make it through Saturday night, treat yourself to some therapeutic coffee Sunday morning from The Dirt Cowboy Cafe (643-1323). Muffins, ice cream, frozen yogurt and pastries are sold in addition to gourmet flavored Java, but get it to go because chairs are limited and the cafe is quite popular.

For Sunday lunch, drop by 5 Olde Nugget Alley (643-5081). Their Mexican appetizers will get your mouth watering. The restaurant also has contemporary entrees such as sizzling fajitas and a recommended Caesar salad. Sandwiches range from $4.95 to $6.25 and entrees top out at $14.25 for the mixed grill.

Sunday afternoon, Zins will be opening for the first time in the Hanover Inn at 1:30 p.m., replacing the Ivy Grill. The restaurant, dubbed "food for friendly wine and wine-friendly food" will feature 30 different wines by the glass and Spanish tapas, a small sampling of food similar to an appetizer. The eclectic contemporary cuisine will be priced from $4 to $13 and will have a restaurant and bar. Dress is casual; priority seating is available.

An alternative is Molly's Balloon (643-2570, 43 S. Main) which has recently undergone renovations. Molly's now offers pizza, pastas, soups and stir-fries from $8 to $15. Dress is casual.

To celebrate the end of the weekend, Sunday dinner requires elegance. The Hanover Inn's Daniel Webster Room boasts prices up to $25 for many entrees -- but food can be charged to your Dartmouth student ID. The service is the best in Hanover, as reflected by their receipt of the AAA Four-Diamond Award. Food is artfully presented (the swordfish dish comes fanned out in the shape of a lobster), and the veal is delectable. Formal dress is recommended but not required; reservations are suggested.

If prices there are too high, try Jesse's (643-4111, Rt. 120) for juicy steaks and good seafood. The extensive salad bar is perfect for vegetarians, and the Sunset Special Menu (from 5 to 6 p.m.) offers five entrees, including chicken dishes, for $9.95. Standard food ranges from $15 to $22.95 for the lobster or sirloin steak. Dress is casual but neat; reservations are recommended.

Finally, Patrick Henry's (643-2345, 39 S. Main) has a warm atmosphere with a medieval setting, great drinks, onion soup and Black and Blue Steak. Food ranges from $6.95 for the quiche to $11.95 for the aforementioned steak. Dress is casual; reservations are not accepted.