Newt Gingrich opens symposium

As a part of this year's Senior Symposium, House Speaker Newt Gingrich will discuss "Goals for a Generation" tomorrow at 4 p.m. in Cook Auditorium.

The theme of the Symposium is "Challenging the Status Quo: Modern Day Revolutionaries."

"We thought that his ideas on change are interesting, and we hope that, whether or not people agree with him, it will generate discussion," Senior Symposium committee co-chair Anne Kanyusik '98 said.

In his speech, Gingrich will outline the four goals he has been presenting since January, according to Mike Shields, his political spokesman.

Gingrich's four goals address illegal drug use, education, social security and taxes, Shields said.

He "wants to win the war on drugs, as opposed to talking about it," Shields said.

Shields said drug use has steadily increased every year since President Bill Clinton entered office. Gingrich wants to launch an intensive "World War II-style plan," replacing Clinton's slower 10-year program to fight illegal drug use, he said.

He said Gingrich's second goal is to "insist on the best system of education and learning in the world."

Gingrich will also emphasize his goal of changing the current social security system.

Presently, all Americans' money enters a large trust fund to pay current recipients of social security. The government also uses the fund to reduce the deficit, Shields said.

Under a new plan, he said Gingrich would have members of the Baby Boom generation and below pay into free market personal social security accounts that would accumulate compound interest.

"The people who would benefit the most from it are the people in their twenties," Shield said. "He's really going to talk about that, because he's going to a college campus."

Gingrich's fourth goal is one that may take years to accomplish, according to Shields. Gingrich wants to bring total taxation -- a combination of federal, state and local taxes -- down from 38 percent to a 25- percent cap by downsizing and modernizing government.

After his speech, Gingrich will answer questions from the audience.

Dartmouth is Gingrich's last stop on his two-week book tour. Prior to the speech, he will sign books in the Dartmouth Bookstore.

"It's a great environment for him," Shields said. "He loves being on a college campus -- he loves interacting with young people and hearing their ideas."

From 3:15 to 3:45 p.m., only members of the Dartmouth community will be seated in the auditorium. There will be general admission after 3:45.

The speech will also be shown on large-screen television monitors in Ankeny, Barclay and Stoneman classrooms in the Murdough Center.