Dartmouth recognized for environmental awareness

The National Wildlife Federation recognized the College for its environmental awareness in a recent study. The report highlighted cost-saving conservation measures at 15 colleges and universities across the country, including Dartmouth.

The report, "Green Investment, Green Return: How Practical Conservation Projects Save Millions on America's Campuses," praised Dartmouth for saving the College $85,000 by instituting more energy-efficient lighting in the residence hall rooms and recycling food waste for compost. The report also mentioned the College's recent ban on halogen lamps.

Facilities, Operations and Management Assistant Director Bill Hochstin, who is also in charge of Dartmouth Recycles, said the report was an "indication of Dartmouth's commitment to the environment." He said the ban on halogen lights is an example of the way the College deals with environmental concerns since the lamps are expensive to run and a fire hazard.

He called Dartmouth "a leadership school" in terms of environmental awareness, but he said there is room for improvement in better communication and in creating opportunities for students to participate in the environmental sector.

He credited the Resource Working Group, which is in charge of the College's resource management, for many of the changes that have been implemented in environmental policy. He said the group works collectively to find economic solutions for environmental problems and to enact conservation policies.

Associate Provost Margaret Dyer-Chamberlain explained that the Resource Working Group consists of mid-level College managers who are able to make operational changes because they all have a different expertise.

"They're doing a good job. They serve quietly and work behind the scenes," she said.

In addition to banning halogen lights, she said the group's other environmental achievements include the Organic Farm and Dartmouth's switch to recycled paper through negotiating a better price for bulk paper.

"If you get the right people around the table, you can really make these changes," she said.

Frank DeLeon '99, who has been the chair of the Dartmouth Outing Club Environmental Studies Division for three terms, said "a lot of students are very environmentally aware" and faculty members in the ESD "foster environmental awareness."