Hutton helped create College's endowment

While at Dartmouth, Vice President and Treasurer Lyn Hutton molded a successful and interesting career while managing an approximately $300 million budget and $900 million endowment.

Hutton, the College's highest ranking female administrator and first female vice president and chief financial officer, is responsible for managing the College's stock portfolio, its human resources department, the Hanover Inn, Dartmouth Dining Services and land donated to the College. She also assembles the College's yearly budget.

Dartmouth has been prosperous during her tenure, and Hutton's work has helped to create one of the largest university endowments in the nation.

Hutton has also expanded the operating budget and has been given credit for much of the College's financial success.

A 1994 article in Bloomberg Business News praised Hutton and the College for profits made by her use of "non-traditional ... riskier investments."

Although Hutton disagreed with the analysis, she explained her decisions were not considered "institutional-type investments by the public."

Last year, she managed to avoid a predicted $5 million budget shortfall through fund-raising campaigns and program cuts.

College President James Freedman also complimented Hutton's management of the College's budget.

"Due in large part to [Hutton]'s efforts, Dartmouth is in robust financial condition," Freedman said. Freedman cited the College's need-blind admissions policy, its quality teaching, and "a physical campus that honors the past, yet is prepared for the future" as part of Hutton's work.

In 1994 and 1995, Hutton helped end the war over Dartmouth Dining Services' policies by proposing a refundable declining balance option without changing menu options or reducing Dining Services jobs. Hutton also helped engineer the selling of logs harvested from land donated to the College to support scholarships and the Dartmouth Outing Club.

Hutton played a large part in the creation of the Environmental Health and Safety Office in 1994. The office evaluates computer stations in order to prevent carpal tunnel syndrome, has created a training program for ski patrols and weight room advisors and investigates any laboratory accidents.

Hutton has also been a proponent of affirmative action policies in admissions and described the University of California's decision to discontinue affirmative action acceptance policies in 1995 as "an abomination."

Hutton told The Dartmouth in 1995 that James Freedman's reputation in academic circles was a major factor in her decision to come to Dartmouth.

She said in 1995 that she would only leave Dartmouth if she found a job that involved pure portfolio management, her true passion. After she resigns, Hutton plans to take on the responsibility of managing the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation's $4 billion endowment.

Hutton came to Dartmouth in September 1990 after serving as senior vice president for administration at the University of Southern California.

She had previously held jobs at a Wall Street securities firm and as a vice president and chief financial officer for a privately owned holding company in Beverly Hills, California.

Hutton has two children and enjoys traveling, sailing, skiing and tennis.