A whole mall at your fingertips

Coming to Dartmouth, most students are aware that the school is fairly rural. Fortunately, one thing has saved the Dartmouth population from American product isolation: a fast connection to the Internet. With only our computers, we can purchase practically anything our hearts desire, and it can be in our hands on the next business day. On that note, here are the best places to buy cool stuff on the web:

Clothes: Most people have already discovered www.jcrew.com, which makes it possible to buy preppy clothes at exorbitant prices -- but they are cool clothes. Right now, there is a 60-percent off clearance sale, so even if you did not get the catalog, you can see it on the website.

Also sporting similar clothing is www.eddiebauer.com, which has a wider selection and slightly better prices on similar products.

There are some crazy TV show, celebrity and parody T-shirts at www.tshirtnow.com. They have a wide selection and a lot of unique shirts.

If you are looking for sheets, outdoor apparel or more conservative clothing, www.llbean.com and www.landsend.com will provide you with everything you need.

Underwear: For women, finding nice underwear in Hanover can be a problem. Unfortunately, Victoria's Secret does not have a web site, but Hanes has www.onehanesplace.com, where anything from men's boxers to the Wonderbra is available, at good prices.

Spiegel's www.intimate-source.com also has women's underwear and a feature that helps you get "the best bra for your body type."

Gifts: Although Valentine's Day has passed, flowers are good for any time of the year. Both www.1800flowers.com and www.ftd.com will deliver flowers anywhere in the world and will give same-day delivery. They also will send balloons and candy with your order, and both sites give ideas on romantic things to say and holiday reminders.

People who love chocolate will enjoy www.godiva.com, which sells Godiva's elegant and delicious treats. Also, www.chocoholic.com gives access to many different chocolatiers all around the country and also has an important-date reminder service.

To add a card to your gift, go to www.hallmark.com, which offers electronic greeting cards, contests, and a hilarious "Funny But No" section with Hallmark's rejected greetings.

Computers and Electronics: If you are looking for the best price on any computer product (software or hardware), look no further than www.computeresp.com. This site allows you to enter the product you want to purchase and will tell you all on-line stores that sell the product, sorted by price. Shopping was never so easy.

For really cool gadgetsand toys, www.sharperimage.com, www.brookstoneonline.com and Hammacher Schlemmer's www.hammacher.com has watches with digital thermometers and "the only remote-controlled indoor flying saucer." All have expensive products but are definitely interesting.

There are a lot of places to buy CDs, including www.cdnow.com, www.cdconnection.com, and www.cduniverse.com. CD Now is one of the best -- you can search for music by artist, album title, song title and record label, and when you find what you are looking for, you can listen to clips of the CD.

My favorite place to buy movies is www.videoexpress.com. They have a huge selection of over 60,000 videotapes, great prices, and many shipping options. If you have a home theater system, they also have 10,900 laser discs and 800 DVD's.

Other: Another thing everyone must check out is www.asontv.com, called "As Seen on TV." If you were ever sorry you passed up your one and only chance to buy Quick 'N Brite, the Flowbee (of Wayne's World fame) or the AB Roller, this is your place. Anything you have ever seen on an infomercial is here, and in some cases, at better prices.

If you are looking for safe sex, www.condomania.com is definitely the place to go. Their condoms come in all sizes, shapes and colors, and Condomania even supply oils, underwear, and "accessories" to make life more fun. Extra-strength, scented and flavored condoms are their specialty. They also have a responsible guide to having safe sex.

Even though Hanover has a bookstore, www.amazon.com is where to buy books. They have the lowest prices and over 2.5 million titles, which is much more than the Dartmouth Bookstore will ever have. Amazon.com will also recommend books it thinks you will like and even has book reviews.

If you decide you need to take a quick trip out of Hanover and go to Boston or Montreal, www.ticketmaster.com will allow ticket purchases to any event, anywhere in the United States or Canada. If all of this still is not enough, go to www.travelocity.com, where you can find the lowest price on a plane ticket anywhere in the nation to do your shopping.