Pearl Jam's latest may be its best

I have to admit that I am partial to the Pearl Jam "classics" such as "Black," "Better Man" and "Daughter." In my opinion, it is pretty rare for an established band's newest tracks to outshine the old stuff. I had been hearing several singles on the radio and began to wonder if perhaps Pearl Jam could have surpassed itself.

After finally securing a copy of the latest album and listening to it numerous times, I can safely say that Pearl Jam's previous albums may just have to give the right of way to the most recent release, "Yield."

The rocking members of Pearl Jam -- Mike McCready (guitar), Stone Gossard (guitar), Jeff Ament (bass), Jack Irons (drums) and, of course, Eddie Vedder (vocals, guitar, and just "Ed Vedder" according to the liner notes) -- have put together an album that is arguably their very best.

This may come as a surprise to those who didn't even expect the band to remain together after the San Francisco fiasco in which Vedder got food poisoining, causing Pearl Jam's 1996 U.S. tour to disintegrate.

"Yield" does not come across as moody; in fact, there is no one word that can fully capture the album's variety of facets. The first track, "Brain of J.," opens with some hard-core guitar riffs and pounding drums. It's fast. It's energetic. It rocks. The song slows, then builds back up to a frenetic pace.

However, don't be misled into thinking that this opening track establishes a pattern for the rest of the album. Each track is unique and arrests the listener's attention for different reasons.

I am also a fan of the lyrics and music of "Given To Fly," the track that has been getting the most airplay recently. "Wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw/ delivered him wings/ 'hey look at me now'/ arms wide open with the sea as his floor/ oh he's flying/ whole/ floated back down cause he wanted to share/ the key to the locks on the chains he saw/ everywhere."

It's already amazing when a song doesn't have completely repetitive lyrics and isn't just more "oh yeah's" and "uh-huh's." But when lyrics have imagery and, dare I say it, meaning, you know you've got something a step above the rest.

"Low Light" definitely tops my list of terrific tracks. I can already picture people swaying with lighters in hand to this one.

Vedder's voice is slow and soothing, with only the slightest hint of his harsher, raspier edge. The guitars on this track and the introduction of a piano are reminiscent of classic rock hits.

Other stand-out tracks are "Do The Evolution" and "Pilate," though really, I think the album as a whole is a real tour de force for Pearl Jam. There is a little surprise at the end of the last track that has an exotic flair, so be patient and listen to the album in its entirety.

If you are already a devoted fan of the group, this is definitely an album you must add to your collection.

If you have never really understood what all the Pearl Jam hype is about, just listen to this album and find out what you have been missing.

"Yield" just hit store shelves last Tuesday, so if I were you, I would hop into the fast lane and speed on over to get my hands on a copy before being left behind in the dust.