Dartmouth's Swimming and Diving Teams Should Receive More Coverage

To the Editor:

I understand that it is impossible for The Dartmouth to cover every sports competition that takes place over the weekend. I also understand that some sports are supposedly more interesting, more popular and more exciting than others and so receive more coverage.

Unfortunately, none of the above excuses The Dartmouth for failing to report on any of the swimming and diving competitions which took place this weekend, especially the women's meet against Columbia on Saturday, January 17.

Whether you are a fan of swimming or not, the meet was fantastic. It came down to the last event, with the Big Green showing a little more heart than the Lions in the 400-freestyle relay. The Dartmouth relays took second and third, solidifying a nail-biting victory, 152-148.

You couldn't tell that the student body wasn't interested, judging from the nearly-filled stands. You couldn't tell that swimming wasn't as popular as basketball or soccer, judging from the number of ten-year-old girls there cheering on their college idols. And you certainly couldn't tell that swimming was a boring sport, judging from the loud and almost obnoxious cheering that took place during the final relay.

Please give the sport of swimming in general, and the Dartmouth women's swim team in particular, the credit they deserve.