Chase Field plans face residents' opposition

College plans to improve Chase Field are facing opposition from a Hanover couple who say the plans will lead to high-intensity lighting and increased noise and traffic.

The proposed improvements to Chase Field include replacing the field used for lacrosse and field hockey with artificial turf as well the construction of indoor tennis courts and an amenities pavilion adjacent to Thompson Arena.

To make room for the tennis complex, the practice football fields would be moved to the east side of the field.

Terry and Joseph Quattrone, who live in Hanover, wrote a letter which appeared in the Valley News on Dec. 30, complaining about what they called the "not-fully-researched plan" for modifying Chase Field.

The letter expressed concern that the planning board empowered to authorize the project was biased by the inclusion of College employees and their family members.

Cynthia Crutchfield, the College's projects manager, said she feels that Dartmouth is adequately addressing the desires of the community. She said the College invited town residents to an information session earlier this fall. Director of Facilities planning Gordon DeWitt was at the meeting as was Jaeger, along with the landscape developer and architect.

Approximately 10 people with houses neighboring the field attended the meeting and were presented with the plans to improve the field. The construction cannot begin until the College obtains the necessary town and state permits.

Joseph Quattrone told The Dartmouth yesterday, "I'm just one of many people upset by this project." He declined to name others who agreed with him, saying, "I think it's just common sense."

College Athletic Director Dick Jaeger denied Joseph and Terry Quattrone's claim that the College has attempted to ignore the opinions of the community, citing Dartmouth's efforts to inform and receive feedback from concerned residents.

"Some members of the town are wary about the impact of the new lighting, parking and traffic, but these concerns will be addressed as a normal part of the approval process," Jaeger said. "The process is fair and thorough."

Jaeger said the planned improvements are necessary for the teams to adequately cope with the inclement Northern weather. Fall teams are allowed twelve spring practices under National Collegiate Athletic Asociation regulations, but snowy weather often impedes early practices.

Currently the College must fit all the teams into Leverone Field House, sometimes holding practice as late as midnight. Once the artificial turf is installed, the athletic department can simply plow the field and conduct practices.