Assembly uses $4,000 for survey

The Student Assembly unanimously passed a resolution to dedicate up to $4,000 -- about 12 percent of its budget for this year -- to a project which aims to distribute a compilation of opinions about the College to students, administrators and faculty.

The Assembly will use the money to publicize and organize a report based on responses to four questions about visions of Dartmouth's future and thoughts on life at the College today.

The ad hoc committee in charge of the program called Visions of Dartmouth tentatively plans to allocate the most significant portion of the budget, about $3,080, to the distribution of the final report to Dartmouth students, according to the committee's proposed budget.

The four questions will be available on the internet and will appear in an Assembly publication that will take the place of last year's Tick Talk.

In addition, the questions may be distributed to either students' Hinman boxes or residence halls.

The Assembly also resolved to spend up to $750 on its "Dream Discussion." Under the Assembly's plan, members of the Dartmouth community could discuss race relations over hot chocolate at a local restaurant on the evening of the College's Martin Luther King celebration.

The assembly passed an additional resolution allowing the National Black Theatre Summit, which will be holding a National Conference at Dartmouth this March, to use its fax machine because the Summit's original grant does not cover the purchase of hardware and the Assembly had a fax machine available.

The Assembly is also preparing a survey to gauge student views on its proposed "Big Green Bikes" project, which would provide 50 bikes for anyone on campus to use.

Lisa Emerson '01, the Assembly member spearheading the project, said if the Assembly decides to pursue the project, it will paint 50 bikes bright green to identify them with the program.

The student life committee will spend the next three weeks speaking with Coed Fraternity Sorority organizations and students about how to respond to the recommendations of the College Committee on Alcohol and Other Drugs.

The CCAOD "has made a statement that students haven't taken enough responsibility for their own social lives," said Paul Holzer '00, a member of the Assembly's student life committee.

"We agree something really needs to be done and we're going to offer suggestions on how to implement some of the recommendations," he said.