Students discuss possibility of cable in dorms

The College's Committee on Cable Television met with eight students last night in the Topliff lounge at an open discussion about the possibility of providing a cable television signal to individual residence hall rooms.

Director of Residential Operations Woody Eckels opened the discussion by explaining that the cable wiring to rooms is already in place, but there is currently no active signal.

Eckels then asked the students how they felt about the possibility of offering cable in residence hall rooms.

Damali Rhett '99 said she is looking for channels that would provide basic information, such as news and weather.

Norrinda Brown '99 said she thought students are not looking for a premium cable package, but even a basic package would be a step up from the two channels currently available with only a television antenna.

"Compared to what we have now, anything would be a vast improvement," Brown said.

Film Studies major Monica Wilkins '99 said she thinks cable television in dorm rooms would be an asset for film studies students who often watch television for class assignments.

Robert Parham '99 questioned the necessity of providing cable because important information, such as news and weather, is readily available on the Internet.

Rhett then pointed out that retrieving news from the Internet is much more complicated, time-consuming and inconvenient than watching television.

One student said she was very opposed to having cable in dorm rooms because students would begin to miss classes and isolate themselves in their rooms.

Rhett said she thinks television will enhance socializing in residence halls rather than causing people to become further isolated.

"Social options at Dartmouth are limited enough already," she said. "Everyone bonds in different ways."

Rhett also argued that television would help students, particularly freshmen, feel less isolated from the outside world.

"When you start going to K-Mart and get excited," she said. "That's a problem."

Students and members of the committee also discussed methods of disseminating information to students Fall term to solicit a larger amount of student opinion about cable television.

Computing Services Production Engineer Keith Borgstrom, Office of Residential Life Fiscal Officer Emily Farnham, Director of Instructional Services Michael Beahan and Film Studies Professor Mark Williams, all members of the cable television committee, were present at last night's discussion.