Residence Halls offer creature comforts to students

As you look forward to beginning your freshman year at the College, you might already be anxiously awaiting the arrival in your mailbox of the little slip of paper that holds a piece of your first-year destiny -- the name of your roommate and your room assignment.

The random assignment of your new home and living mates can influence your choice of classes and preferred dining establishments (especially in the bitter winter months) and the people you will meet.

And unfortunately, not all campus housing is created equal. Some freshmen enjoy large triple-rooms with fireplaces, wall-to-wall carpeting or even full bathrooms while other students are assigned to cramped doubles or rooms a less-than-desirable distance from the main campus.

But every residence hall has its perks, whether it's an especially social atmosphere, a close proximity to your classroom buildings or brand-new furniture and recently remodeled rooms.

Butterfield/Russell Sage

Butterfield and Russell Sage Halls are known for their convenient location -- close to Kiewit Computation Center, Baker Library, "Frat Row" and only a short distance from the Green.

During the winter, the residents of these halls especially appreciate their proximity to most anything on campus.

Russell Sage houses freshmen mostly in corner room triples equipped with private half-bathrooms and fireplaces. Upperclassmen also inhabit singles and doubles in the building.

Russell Sage and Butterfield are linked by a common room and kitchen named the Hyphen for its resemblance to the punctuation mark. Social events, a cappella performances and speakers are often held in this space.

Butterfield, composed of singles and doubles, is the College's substance and alcohol-free housing.

Recently refurbished, the cluster is one of the cleanest and well-furnished on campus.

The Choates

Even though residents of these residence halls often joke about the need for a bus service to and from the center of campus, living in the Choates cluster can be an enjoyable experience.

Students living in the four recently-renovated buildings that make up the Choates -- Bissell, Brown, Cohen and Little -- say they form closer bonds with their neighbors due to the cluster's remote location on the north end of campus.

Beginning this fall, freshmen will only be assigned to the one-room doubles in the Choates; the singles will be reserved for upperclassmen.

The Choates feature spacious television lounges and kitchens accessible by glass-enclosed "hamster tunnel" walkways connecting the buildings that allow intra-Choates socializing without even going outdoors in the winter.

East Wheelock

Often called the "New Dorms," Andres, Morton and Zimmerman Halls comprise the East Wheelock cluster, the newest of all the dorms on campus.

The East Wheelock cluster is home to Dean of the College Lee Pelton's Dartmouth Experience plan, which aims to increase the interaction between the intellectual and social sides of College life.

Freshmen who find themselves located in the test site for this new residential concept should get down on their knees and thank the gods of residential life for housing them in these spacious, posh rooms equipped with private bathrooms and showers.

The large sums of money spent to renovate the East Wheelock Cluster, the resident faculty member living in an adjacent house, the cluster dean, late-night snack bar and $25,000 programming budget have earned it the nickname of the "Supercluster."

Despite all this, even the Supercluster has its drawbacks. The cluster is located across from the Berry Sports center, making it the furthest east of any dormitory and somewhat distant from the center of campus.

The Fayerweathers

The "Fayers" rival their neighboring New Dorms in comfort, but retain the character of an old-style college residence hall. Consisting of three buildings, this cluster stands on the hill behind Dartmouth Row.

Due to a combination of convenient location, relatively new furnishings and rooms equipped with half-bathrooms, the Fayerweathers tend to be a favorite with students. North, Mid- and South Fayerweather Halls are connected by an underground tunnel, making for an easy walk to the laundry room during the dead of winter.

Most rooms in the Fayers are average to large-sized doubles or two room triples and the largest room on campus is located on the third floor of Mid-Fayer.

The Gold Coast

This cluster of Gile, Lord and Streeter Halls, is located on the south side of Tuck Mall. The cluster was nicknamed the "Gold Coast" during the Depression, when it was seen as the exclusive domain of wealthy students.

These residence halls are co-ed by floor, except Gile which is co-ed by room. Some of the larger rooms have half-baths and fireplaces, but the rooms are not yet carpeted.

Hitchcock Hall

Hitchcock's main benefit is its busy location between two popular student destinations -- Baker Library and Thayer Dining Hall.

This L-shaped dorm has a two-story atrium and lounge in the center and large comfortable study rooms.

Most freshmen in Hitchcock are assigned to recently remodeled two and three-room carpeted triples.

Massachusetts Row

In student lore, these three dorms compete with the New Dorms for the title of most desirable housing on-campus, mostly because of their great location.

Located next-door to Thayer Dining Hall, close to Baker Library and just behind the Green, Mass Row rooms are coveted by many.

As if the building's location were not enough to make it the top choice on every upperclassman's housing application, many of its two-room triples and one-room doubles also have their own full bathroom.

New Hampshire/Topliff

West of the Green along Wheelock Street, Topliff and New Hampshire Halls are the closest dormitories to the Hopkins Center and are also located conveniently near Alumni Gymnasium.

Once one of the less-desirable clusters, both dorms are now nicely remodeled.

Most of the rooms in Topliff are singles, but freshmen usually share the one-room doubles located at the hall's corners. New Hamp freshmen mostly are assigned to two-room triples.

Residents of these dorms must deal with the night-time noise of the College's steam plant. The smokestack located directly behind the cluster has a habit of spewing its exhaust daily at excruciating decibel levels.

Ripley/Woodward/Smith

Commonly referred to as "RipWoodSmith," these three connected dorms are snuggled between the greenery of the Bema, the Fayerweathers, The Sphinx secret society and two fraternities.

Even though the cluster is located behind Alpha Delta and Chi Heorot fraternities, it tends to foster a less-social atmosphere because the dorms consist of mostly singles and are single-sex by floor.

However, most freshmen are generally housed in spacious two-room doubles with a fireplace and a half-bath, proving that there are some perks to living here. The cluster is also conveniently close to the gym and is located a short distance from Dartmouth Row.

The River

The River is the largest cluster on campus, comprised of five buildings: Hinman, French, McLane, Maxwell and Channing Cox Halls. Maxwell and Channing Cox are upperclass apartments.

Due to its remote location, this cluster is sometimes referred to as the "Foreign Study Program -- Vermont," although many residents say the isolated location makes for greater bonding among the large numbers of freshmen assigned housing in the River.

Located at the far western end of campus, beyond the Amos Tuck School of Business Administration and the Thayer School of Engineering, the greatest complaint about theses dorms is the 10-minute walk to the center of campus which can stretch to 15 minutes or more during the months of heavy snow.

On the opposite side of campus from the gym, the cluster contains some athletic facilities of its own.

The River boasts racketball, basketball and beach volleyball courts as well as an indoor climbing gym. McLane has a weight room in the basement.

Rooms in the River are carpeted and are generally singles or two-room and three-room doubles. Each dorm also has a lounge on the first floor.

Wheeler/Richardson

These dorms, located just east of Baker Library, are the oldest still in use at the College, and are brimming with the character to prove it.

Freshmen placed in Wheeler Hall inhabit either tiny one-room, L-shaped doubles or spacious two-room triples with half-baths.

Either way, most rooms have working fireplaces, which chilly residents often put to good use during the winter. In warmer times, the Wheeler lawn is a popular sun-bathing and studying spot.