Hutchinson returns as Thayer dean

Engineering Professor Charles Hutchinson was appointed the acting dean of the Thayer School of Engineering yesterday after Dean Elsa Garmire announced her resignation to the faculty a few weeks ago.

Hutchinson, presently the John H. Krehbiel Senior Professor of Emerging Technologies, spent 10 years as the tenth dean of the Thayer School from 1984 to 1994. His permanent replacement was intended to be Garmire.

Earlier in June, Garmire announced that she was stepping down as dean to concentrate on research and teaching. Acting Provost James Wright announced Hutchinson's appointment after consultation with Thayer School faculty and President Freedman.

In the announcement yesterday, Wright said, "I am delighted that Hutch has agreed to take on this important responsibility. His record of accomplishment to Thayer and to Dartmouth is substantial."

Hutchinson said becoming the Thayer School's new dean was "not quite what I planned to do this year but I'm flattered that they asked me to do it."

Hutchinson said he was approached last week about becoming the interim dean during the search for a new dean. He added that he had been planning to "phase out" of the Thayer School responsibilities to devote more time to research and travel.

College President James Freedman said Hutchinson would take the helm of the Thayer School with ease.

"Dean Hutchinson is obviously an experienced dean and he knows the school well," he said. "I would expect the transition to be absolutely smooth."

"I'm just very grateful to Dean Hutchinson for agreeing to serve," he added.

Hutchinson said his 10-year tenure as dean of the Thayer School was a "good experience" during which he led the Thayer School through major fundraising efforts that included a $15 million expansion of the school.

After his departure, the College conducted a two-year search before Garmire was appointed the new dean.

Wright said although Garmire's decision to leave in June seemed abrupt, she had expressed an interest in leaving earlier in the year.

It was not until June that Garmire expressed a serious desire to step down, he said.

Although Garmire said she resigned to pursue teaching and research, Wright admitted Garmire had some "difficulties" during her tenure as dean.

"There were some tensions and disagreements with the faculty but I don't think there are any substantial ones" regarding her direction of the school, Wright said.

But he said, "I have a tremendous regard for her."

Wright said, unlike a regular search for a dean, Hutchinson was selected from a pool of available qualified candidates.

Hutchinson's past experience and availability made him a prime candidate to take over as interim dean, Wright said.

Freedman said the search for a new dean would start in the fall and would take "the better part of an academic year."