EBAs removes 25-cent surcharge

Everything But Anchovies removed its 25-cent surcharge on orders paid for with the Hanover Green Card last week through an agreement to cooperate with the Green Card.

EBAs co-owner Charlie Dowd said the policy change occurred because the surcharge was not helping either business.

The charge, implemented in late June, was in response to the fee charged by the Green Card for each transaction, Dowd previously told The Dartmouth. Since over 50 percent of EBAs' customers now use the Green Card, these fees came to represent a substantial cost to EBAs.

"It was a cooperative effort between the two of us" to eliminate the fee, Dowd said. "It's not costing anybody anything."

Mitch Jacobs '94, owner and President of Hanover Green Card, Inc., said he and Dowd came to a mutually beneficial agreement to "make students as happy as possible."

Jacobs said under the new agreement the two businesses will coordinate marketing efforts. The Green Card will not have to reduce its user fees, and both will benefit from increased advertising cooperation, he said.

"In a lot of ways, EBAs and the Green Card have been duplicating marketing efforts," Jacobs said. "By working together more effectively, we are able to each find savings in our budgets."

Dowd said since both businesses are currently expanding, the coordination of their efforts will increase business.

Jacobs said the Green Card is working to offer Green Cards to College organizations and to members of the Upper Valley community, and EBAs is adding a room for group functions.

"We have made a commitment to EBAs that we will speed up the development to serve the community at large," he said. "EBAs has agreed to co-promote the program."