Awards given to seniors and others on Class Day

Graduating seniors and Chemistry Professor Gordon Gribble were honored with a variety of awards at the Class Day ceremony at the Bema on June 7.

For the first time in College history, Daniel Fehlauer '97 and J. Brooks Weaver '97 shared class valedictorian honors.

Both had 3.99 grade point averages which differed by only .00026455, according to a College news release. Weaver received 35 A grades and one A- while Fehlauer received 34 A grades and one A-.

Both valedictorians were double majors -- Fehlauer in physics and German literature and Weaver in physics and religion.

Gribble received Dartmouth's Distinguished Teaching Award, which is decided by a vote of the graduating class.

Government Professor Linda Fowler served as this year's faculty speaker. She was chosen by the Senior Executive Committee, a body elected by the class Winter term to maintain class relations with the College after graduation.

Theresa Ellis '97 received the Philip McInnis Class of 1936 Women's Award and Sea Lonergan '97 received the Barrett All-Around Achievement Cup for men.

Ellis also received the Charles Howard Dudley Prize. Lonergan was also the recipient of the American Institute of Chemists Foundation Student Award, the Kenneth Archibald Athletic Prize, the Dartmouth Cup, the Timothy Wright Ellis Award and the Albert "Dolly" Stark Memorial Award.

Anne Jones '97, the class orator, delivered a speech, as did Senior Executive Committee President Sam Keating '97 and class Vice President Matt Shafer '97.

The four class historians, Chris Miller '97, Jen Pariseau '97, Sariya Sharp '97 and Caleb Scott '97 collaborated in a comical skit which recapped and satirized their years at the College.