Three alumni vie for one spot in Trustee election

An educator, a businessman and an urban planner are vying to replace the spot held by Joseph Mathewson '55 on the Board of Trustees. The ballots, which were distributed to all members of the Dartmouth alumni association, are due today.

Richard Fairley '55, C. Edgar Haldeman Jr. '70 and Nancy Jeton '76 are running for one of seven alumni spots on the 16-member board. Mathewson's second term on the Board expires in June.

Fairley founded and presides over an educational consulting firm. He worked for 30 years at the U.S. Department of Education, serving as deputy assistant secretary and director of higher education and Associate Commissioner of Education.

Fairley's said in a statement that "The Dartmouth experience provides the foundation for thousands of men and women to realize the American Dream."

Haldeman is partner and director for the investment firm Cooke & Bieler, Inc. and he already serves as a trustee for The Episcopal Academy, The Baldwin School, Abington Memorial Hospital and Abington Memorial Health Care Corporation.

"The focus on undergraduate education and the commitment of faculty to teaching remain central to the mission of the College," Haldeman wrote in his statement.

Jeton works as an urban planner specializing in regulatory reform and growth management. She has worked on Nigeria's National Transportation Planning Task Force, as well as in Andover and Salem, Mass.

"We must ensure that Dartmouth continues to produce graduates who positively influence the wider world," Jeton wrote in her statement.

The ballots will be counted next week. Approximately 23 percent of alumni have returned ballots in recent years, according to Director of Alumni Relations Nelson Armstrong.