Pelton debates Saccio on 'chapel'

In a veiled satire addressing time and over-activity problems at Dartmouth, Dean of the College Lee Pelton and English Professor Peter Saccio debated the reinstatement of mandatory chapel attendance.

Last night about 75 students and members of the community laughed about, discussed and reflected on the question of "Do We Need Compulsory Chapel Back at Dartmouth?" in 105 Dartmouth.

Pelton debated in favor of reinstating required chapel attendance so students would have time set aside to reflect on life and Saccio took the opposite standpoint by arguing such a proposal would never work.

Although the debate was conducted with the utmost sincerity, after the debate Pelton revealed the entire scenario as "theater" with no real intentions by the College to bring back chapel.

Rather the discussion was intended as a starting point for discussions about a dearth of spiritual contemplation and reflection in the Dartmouth community because students are too busy.

Tucker Foundation Dean Scot Brown, who moderated last night's debate, said the typical Dartmouth student was an "activities addict" too concerned about "fitting in" and "being successful" at standards set by today's culture.

While arguing for Dartmouth to "necessitate a dead Dartmouth tradition," Pelton utilized many quotes from famous authors and argued that students needed the time set aside to review the content of their character.

Pelton said the College needed to set aside a specific "sacred and inviolable" time each week for chapel during which no other activities could be planned.

Saccio -- during his rebuttal -- argued students would merely find this time another blot on a busy schedule.

"It's a crackpot idea defeating its own purpose and principles," he said.

But Pelton argued that student's busy schedule was precisely the reason a time was needed for chapel.

"We are too busy," he said. "We need to set aside time to reassert ... and reassess ... ourselves."

Pelton said the hectic nature of Dartmouth was exemplified in the Dartmouth Plan.

Pelton called for not only College chaplains and clergy but also students, faculty and staff to speak at chapel "to the mind and to the heart."

Saccio questioned the ability of Dartmouth to provide interesting speakers for what would be a large mandatory event.

Attempting to rebut Pelton and tease his boss, Saccio questioned President James Freedman's ability to speak equally well as former College President William Tucker did in the beginning of the century.

"Do you think President Freedman is ... vigorous and stimulating?" Saccio jokingly asked, amidst laughter by the audience. "No, he has to leave town and raise money."

During his argument, Pelton explained that chapel was required at Dartmouth until 1925. Initially students were required to attend two chapel services each day -- the first at 5 a.m. -- with no more than seven absences a term. Too many absences would affect a students grade for the term.

Saccio questioned the logistics and the premise of mandated chapel but admitted a time for students to take a break would be beneficial.

"Let us have a time when the phone does not work," he said. "Blitz does not work. Everyone goes into their rooms ... two or three may gather ... and talk. Please, no more large groups."

Saccio argued if chapel was reinstated, 90 percent of the student body would complain and ridicule the idea.

He questioned how students would behave during such a mandated weekly ritual by reading remembrances of chapel from Dartmouth graduates at the turn of the century when students would play pranks on the administrators and other students during chapel services.