Oh, the places you should go!

One of the most popular criticisms of Dartmouth is that there is nothing to do here. Although Hanover's bar and club scene may be limited, there is much more to do at the College than study in a library or party in a fraternity basement.

Dartmouth is not located in New York City or Boston, and it is unfair to expect it to offer the same kinds of activities as a major city. But there are endless things to see and do beyond Dartmouth and Hanover if students are willing to seek them out.

Students rarely take advantage of places like Skunk Hollow Tavern, the Quechee Gorge, and Pico Mountain's Alpine Slide.

For the next seven weeks, The Dartmouth will run a series of stories on some of the best things to do in the College's backyard. These stories offer a sampling of the best tourist attractions, night life, shopping, dining, sports, outdoor and cultural activities in the area.

From mountains to beaches, cities to wilderness, the area around Hanover abounds with things to do. A short drive in any direction brings enough activities to fill dozens of empty Saturdays.

Even students without access to a car can take advantage of New England. A bicycle is enough to get to many places mentioned in The Dartmouth's series of stories, and the college sponsors trips and transportation all over New Hampshire and Vermont, and sometimes beyond.

Rather than comparing New Hampshire and Vermont to other places, students should acknowledge and celebrate New England's uniqueness. Students should get out and explore, rather than sitting around campus stewing about the lack of options.