Seniors nervous about 'real world'

Members of the Class of 1996 say they are beginning to realize the world beyond Hanover can be a scary place.

Other than not having BlitzMail, free laser printing and a charge account at Food Court, graduates will face the additional annoyance of switching to another school or beginning a career.

Sylvia Langford, the dean of the Class of 1996, said some graduates are worried.

"There is a bit of uncertainty about what the next few years will hold," she said.

Langford said seniors fear they will miss "the nurturing environment that they have found here and especially the friends they have made, be they students or professors or administrators."

Mia Williams '96 said she is not quite ready to go.

"A few months ago I would have said I'm ready to leave," she said. But "I've had a really good term, I've met a lot of people ... At this point I wish we had more time."

"It's kind of unknown and sad, especially for me after this term," Williams said. "I've gotten to know people I'd like to spend more time with."

"It's unnerving to think about meeting new people, making new friends," she said.

Katie Burt '96 said it is a painful realization that "they're actually going to kick us out."

"There are so many options," she said. "It is scary."

Burt said she is applying to medical school, and looking for a job in the medical industry or with an environmental consulting firm.

Burt said graduating from college is more stressful than graduating from high school.

"From high school to college is an expected transition," she said. "But after college there's no set thing that you're supposed to do."

Burt said she is looking forward to having more free time after graduation.

Langford said not everyone will be sad to leave.

"Some people are probably going to be so glad to get out of here," she said.

Tim Young '96, who will attend law school at George Washington University next year, said he is looking forward to being in a city.

"It'll be a nice change of pace, actually," he said.

Langford said students should feel well prepared for moving on.

"Most of the seniors are reasonably well prepared to get out there," she said. "Dartmouth is sort of a microcosm, in some ways, of the real world."

Burt said her experiences during leave terms helped prepare her for life beyond Dartmouth.

"During my leave term ... I worked near Boston at an environmental consulting firm," she said. "I think that gave me a real taste of what it will be like."

Langford said students have learned to manage their time well at Dartmouth.

"There isn't as much flexibility for extensions and flexing of deadlines," she said. "You can't just always call in sick."