Muller '96 leads team by example

To the ordinary sports buff, Trudy Muller '96 appears no different from the average collegiate tennis player. She spends hours on end each week hitting yellow fuzzy balls, rain or shine. She loves to serve up aces and put away her volleys. And she loves to pull off clutch victories to put her team on top.

But beyond all this, as her coaches, teammates and opponents know, Muller brings more than just her racket onto the tennis court.

Sure, you can say that Muller is known for her blistering backhands and her ferocious forehands. But on the other hand, she's even better known for her magical spirit and on-the-court charm that seems to shed light on the fields of play even during the darkest of hours.

For the past two years, during her sophomore and junior year tennis seasons, Muller has been awarded the Class of 1985 Spirit Award by her teammates.

Most recently, Muller was awarded the Regional Tennis Magazine/Arthur Ashe Jr. Sportsmanship and Leadership Award by Rolex USA and the Intercollegiate Tennis Association at the close of her final season at Dartmouth.

"I couldn't think of a more deserving player to receive the Rolex award," teammate Katie Kirkmire '98 said of her captain. "Trudy was the best leader that our team could've had during this season."

For Muller, leading her team during a disheartening 1-12 overall, 0-7 Ivy League season wasn't just about winning her matches at the number one singles position or about earning the key points for the team.

Deep down inside, Muller believes that there's more to the game of tennis than who wins and who loses.

"Even if I lose a match, I try to get something out of the whole experience. Like I'll say to myself, okay, this is building my character and once this is all over, I'll be a stronger person inside," Muller said candidly.

"So much of tennis is based on wins and losses, and that's not necessarily what Trudy is about," Head Coach Chris Kerr said. "What defines Trudy is her effort, leadership and personality."

These three attributes were especially evident during this most recent season. In those trying times when her team needed her most, Muller stood poised and acted beyond her call of duty as captain. She held her team together at times when the team could have easily crumbled. And this was perhaps Muller's greatest attribute as the lone senior on the squad.

"Trudy is one of those players who will never quit. She never gave up, she was always stoic on the court and she always had a smile on her face," Kirkmire said.

In Muller's own words, "Tennis is very much a mental sport ... you have to believe in yourself out there. On the court, and during a match, it's all up to you."

"During the middle of the season, I tried to make sure every girl on the team believed in their heart of hearts that they could win every match," Muller said.

Much of Muller's "ya gotta believe" spirit comes from her own personal experiences on the tennis court.

No question about it, Muller likes to win her matches as much as she hates to lose them. And most of all, she hates losing for the team.

Just ask Muller what she will remember most of her four years playing for Dartmouth and she will start reminiscing about the Harvard match during her freshman year.

Dartmouth hadn't beaten its Crimson rivals in eons. Finally, the Big Green had their chance. The tally sheets already showed an even 3-3 match record, and Muller's singles match for the fourth and final point was still up for grabs. The match was at home on the Topliff courts and all eyes were on one player -- the freshman from Half Moon Bay, Ca., Trudy Muller.

Muller's rookie performance that day was nothing short of a class act. She held her composure and forced her opponent to buckle late in the second set.

In the end, the whole match really came down to who wanted it more. When the last ball crossed the net and the fury of rackets ended, Muller prevailed with a straight set 6-3, 7-5 victory. It was Muller at her best.

In the four years since that huge win, Muller has served up nothing but her best efforts and her biggest smiles for the team. She has given the team something that will be hard to part with next season.

When Muller completed her last home match two weeks ago, she left behind a long-lasting legacy on the Topliff courts.

"Trudy will be missed deeply, and she'll always have a special place on the team, at least if not in body then in spirit," Kirkmire said.