Music prof's work premieres in N. Y.

The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, the country's premiere chamber music organization, performed Northern Lights Electric by Music Professor Paul Moravec last night.

The performance marked the New York premiere of Moravec's work, which is commissioned by the North Country Chamber Players and was performed throughout northern New England in 1994.

The performance is the last part of Lincoln Center's "Music of Our Time" concert series at the Merkin Concert Hall.

The 15-minute composition is scored for a mixed octet of flute, clarinet, string quintet and piano. It has been called a "modern day Appalachian Spring."

Moravec teaches music theory, composition, and opera and theater music at the College.

Moravec has published more than 60 original orchestral, chamber and lyrical works as well as several film scores, musical theater pieces and electro-acoustic compositions.

His music has earned numerous distinctions, including the Prix de Rome Fellowship and a Fellowship in Musical Composition from the National Endowment for the Arts.

Several of his works are available on compact disc and have been broadcast to millions of listeners on radio stations worldwide. He is represented by the Integrated Arts People of New York.