Maynard Street to close for the week

Effective today, the Town of Hanover has ordered the closing of Maynard Street, a stretch of road passing in front of the old Mary Hitchcock Hospital, for this week.

Keith Southworth, the assistant director of public works in Hanover, said the road will be closed because the town will be installing a storm drain and a new sanitary sewer line.

"These are part of the Dartmouth project involving the old hospital site," Southworth said.

According to a College News Service press release, the installation of the 12-inch sewer main will service Dartmouth College facilities in that area -- including the future Berry Library.

"The project is not difficult but the sanitary sewer line is 22 feet below the ground," Southworth said.

The work in that area has already necessitated the depavement of the road, Southworth said. Despite the week-long closing, the road will not be repaved when it reopens on April 19.

"There is a need for reconstruction," Southworth said. "It will not be repaved immediately."

The work on Maynard Street will probably continue for the next two months, Southworth said.

With the one-week closing of Maynard Street, parking in the lot between Raven and Sherman houses will be difficult and can only be accessed from the lot from North Main Street. Parking north of Maynard Street, in the Dartmouth Medical School and the Norris Cotton Cancer Center parking lots can be accessed from the Medical School Drive, according to the press release.

Pizzagalli Construction of South Burlington, Vt., will be handling the installation of the drain and sewer line.