Hanover police arrest two more students for drug possession

Hanover police arrested two students yesterday on drug charges, bringing the total number of students arrested for drug possession this week to four, said Detective-Sergeant Frank Moran of the Hanover Police Department.

Peter Navarro '98 and David Puritz '96 turned themselves into Hanover police yesterday after the police notified them that they were wanted for arrest, Moran said.

On Monday, police arrested Josh Winterhalt '97 and Paul Manger '97 of Bones Gate fraternity for possession of marijuana which was recovered from their rooms during a search following a fire drill Winter Carnival weekend, the same evening of the search which recovered marijuana and LSD from Puritz's room.

Navarro was charged with possession of marijuana. Puritz was charged with possession of marijuana and lysergic acid diethylamid.

Police searched Navarro's room at Zeta Psi fraternity on Jan. 2 and recovered "two exhibits suspected of being a controlled drug [marijuana]," according to a press release from Hanover police.

The press release said further tests confirmed the exhibits to be marijuana.

Moran said the police obtained a search warrant after an outside source notified them there were drugs in Navarro's room. Moran told The Dartmouth yesterday that this charge is not related to the Bones Gate arrests and is from "another search on another day."

Puritz was also arrested on drug charges.

A "number of items suspected of being controlled drugs" were seized from Puritz's room at Bones Gate fraternity on Feb. 8 and were submitted to forensics labs to be analyzed, according to another press release from the Hanover police.

The LSD was found on an exhibit consisting of "two one-half-inch foil-wrapped cubes," according to the press release.

Navarro, Manger and Winterhalt were released on summons and will be arraigned on April 24.

The maximum penalty for marijuana possession, a class B misdemeanor is $1,200.

Puritz was released on summons and must appear in the Hanover District Court on May 22.

Possession of LSD is a felony and is punishable by a fine or jail time, Moran said.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton previously told the Dartmouth the College will take action against the students if they have "violated any College rules."

Pelton said he thinks there is a College rule that states students must obey local and state laws.

Both Navarro and Puritz declined to comment.