Misrepresented Statements May Have Offended

I write regarding gross misrepresentation of my statements in the forum discussion entitled "Asian-Americans, Affirmative Action and Graduate School Admissions."

I was quoted in The Dartmouth as follows: "Affirmative action at Dartmouth 'has worked too well' with African-Americans, Kartalopoulos said. 'It's almost worked against them.'"

I would ask the editors of The Dartmouth to take a second look at the title of the forum. My comments, as misquoted above, were neither in reference to African-Americans nor Dartmouth College. They were indeed, as the title suggests, about Asian-Americans and graduate admissions.

Although the conversation often did stray to a more general discussion on affirmative action, at the time I was discussing the fact that Asian-Americans have suffered from being labeled an "over-represented minority" in certain graduate programs, particularly in medical schools.

I can't imagine what inspired your reporter to misattribute my statements, but the Dartmouth owes an apology to African-Americans and any other students on this campus who, as result of this article, may have been insulted. I know I was.