Tennis comes up short to BC

Dartmouth's women's tennis team succumbed 5-4 to Boston College in a hard fought war, yesterday afternoon to end their outdoor campaign. The loss to number 15 ranked B. C. dropped the Big Green's record to a misleading 1-5.

Coach Christine Kerr was upbeat, pointing to a series of strong performances in the single matches.

"I see this as a real positive end to our season," Kerr said. "I felt we did very well in the singles. We did better in the singles than I expected". The team, she said, "fought very well [and] played with a lot of heart."

Earlier in the fall, BC beat Brown [5-4], Yale [5-1] Rutgers [5-1], all top 15 teams in the East.

The event swayed on the singles matches, where Dartmouth and BC split 3-3, before BC won two of the doubles matches to close the victory. Dartmouth could have entered the doubles up 4-2.

Number three singles player Kallie Buehler '97 lost 3-6, 6-1,7-5 in a three set battle. Kerr said, "Kind of a heartbreaker for her... but I felt she played much better than she had ... She had a long weekend at Yale [ECAC Championships]."

Dartmouth's number two, four and five singles players won there matches, lead by Co-Captain Trudy Muller '96. Muller won in straight sets, 6-3, 6-2. Number four Katie Kirkmire '98 won 6-1, 6-2 and Sarah Anderson '99, number five, won 6-3, 6-4.

Dartmouth dropped two of the three doubles matches, providing the one match differential. Dartmouth's number two doubles team of Muller and Courtney Dill '99 won by forfeit. With the match decided, BC pulled their double's pair trailing in the third set.

The loss closes the fall outdoor season. Coach Kerr said practice will resume in mid-January for the indoor season.