Palaeopitus to take a proactive role on campus

To the Editor:

Palaeopitus, an organization of campus leaders from the senior class, has opted to take an active role at Dartmouth this year. In the past, Palaeopitus has been a reactive body, responding to issues that were already of concern to a large segment of the Dartmouth campus.

This year, we have made it our mission to become proactive and raise campus awareness on a variety of issues that we feel should be brought to the forefront of campus attention. This letter, which is written on behalf of the entire group, is the first step in fulfilling that mission.

The issues of race, gender and class relations are all very relevant on our campus, yet are sometimes overlooked. Discussion of these topics is also often restricted to specific organizations or groups. As students in a position to help foster discussion, we would like to encourage the raising of awareness on these issues campus-wide, across organizational lines.

This topic is admittedly broad, but we view it as a starting point from which we will progress as the year continues. By writing this letter, we are asking the students, faculty and administration to begin to think about race, gender and class relationships and the bearing that these relationships have on all of our lives.

In doing so, we hope to encourage introspection within the Dartmouth community and begin to look closely at how these issues shape life on campus.