In college known for intimacy, crowded classes abound

When students imagine classes at Dartmouth, they probably think of small, intimate classrooms with students interacting closely with their professors.

But students taking introductory mathematics and chemistry courses at the College this term are more likely to feel like fans watching a football game in Memorial Field.

More than 150 students are enrolled in Chemistry 5 and there are about 270 students split up into two sections of Math 3.

Students and professors of the large introductory courses say the classes are not overcrowded, but also say they would prefer smaller introductory courses.

Math Classes

Math Professor Donald Kreider, who has about 130 students in his Math 3 section, said he would prefer smaller sections so he could get to know students and their work.

"And I can't remember 130 names, only 25 to 30," he said.

But Kreider did say he does not consider the class to be overcrowded. "It is large, but not crowded," he said.

Professor Thomas Sundquist, who teaches the other section of Math 3, said this year's enrollment is larger than previous years.

"It's definitely a large class -- larger than I'd like to see," he said.

Dara Hysmith '99, who is a student in Kreider's class, said her class is "extremely crowded."

She said so far there has not been a real need for one-on-one assistance and that the professor "has been helping us out well."

Although he said such large classes are not the best way to teach math, "especially calculus," Sundquist said the math department is trying to work with the large classes to improve the learning experience for students.

Kreider said he and Sundquist asked students to pick course liaisons from each residential cluster. The liaison reports any student concerns or comments to the professor.

Kreider also said there are seven course assistants, both undergraduates and graduates, that work with smaller groups of students.

The department has also tried to alleviate potential crowding in classrooms by only filling two-thirds of the seats in a classroom.

Kreider said the practice is mainly psychological. He said he teaches his 130 students in Filene Auditorium in Gerry Hall, which has a capacity of 199.

"When you walk in, there are always seats available," he said.

Cindy Jwo '99, a student in Sundquist's section, said the class size does not bother her.

"You can always go to tutorial if there are any problems," she said.

Jwo said there are opportunities to discuss any problems after class or during office-hours with the professor or the course assistants. But "you don't get as much individual attention, so it is up for you to pay attention," Jwo said. The professors "don't know if you fall asleep or miss class."

Chemistry Class

Professor Fred Kull teaches a class even larger than the math sections. Kull's Chemistry 5 section has about 150 students.

"It's a big class, but it's not overcrowded," Kull said.

He said the department capped the enrollment at 150 due to the size of lecture halls and laboratories.

The chemistry department used to only teach Chemistry 5 in the winter, Kull said. But since last year, the department has offered two sections in the winter and one in the fall.

Chemistry Department Chair John Winn said the department accommodated all of the people who wanted to be in Chemistry 5 this term. Since Math 3 is a prerequisite for the course he said most students take Chemistry 5 in the winter.

"We do have a few more than we thought we would have. And what limits us in addition to the size of the lecture hall is the number of students we can accommodate in the labs," Winn said.

"We've been running on the edge on all courses for the last several years," he said.

Winn said enrollment in chemistry courses has nearly doubled in the last five years.

"There is a great interest due to wonderful teaching, in addition to the student's interests in science, pre-medical careers, and the explosive growth in biochemical fields," Winn said.

Mona Kotecha '99, who is in Kull's chemistry course, said the class size is "okay," since it is a lecture class.

"I have taken lecture classes at the University of Southern California with 700 students, so 150 I don't mind," she said. "It could be a lot worse."

Kotecha said she does not think the size of the class hinders her ability to learn in class, "because we are simply taking notes, and not having interactive discussions on basic material."

"I think learning takes place outside of class," she said. "We really learn during study groups, tutorials, and personal work. A large introductory course will serve its purpose -- to give notes."

Chemistry Professor James Worman said he thinks the growing popularity of chemistry is a national trend.

"The job market in other areas has become very difficult, so rather than blowing an opportunity, people are taking chemistry courses just in case they want to take that direction," Worman said.

Worman said the College's excellent chemistry facilities, the Women in Science Program and the department's "excellent reputation" have also contributed to increased enrollment in chemistry courses.

What to do?

Kreider said ultimately the size of the classes at the College "comes down to economics," because having smaller introductory courses would mean hiring more faculty.

"Having two sections versus three makes an enormous difference," he said. "It is not an economic reality to teach small courses all the time."

Although several professors said they would like to see smaller introductory courses, they also said such a change may cause more harm than good.

"You bet I'd love to have a small section, but for that we would have to change Dartmouth for the worse," Kreider said.

He said if the College reduced the size of introductory courses, professors would have less time to teach upper-level courses, which typically are smaller and more personal.

"Dartmouth has a rich collection of courses one can take in a subject," he said. "I'd like to have small classes, but you want an adequate number of advanced courses in which professors can work with a small number of students individually."

The College has "been teaching larger classes for the 35 years that I have been teaching because smaller sections would require more than half of the department," he said. "So we would have to double our faculty or cut upper-level courses."

Sundquist said the math department asked the College to hire post-doctoral students to teach introductory math courses in sections of 30 students, but the College did not have adequate resources to do so.