College celebrates Homecoming

Although this year's Homecoming weekend was relatively peaceful, both Safety and Security and the Hanover Police Department reported more apprehensions and arrests than last year.

College Proctor Bob McEwen said Safety and Security saw "a slight increase in alcohol-related events" over last year.

Safety and Security took "nine or 10 people to Dick's House, some of whom stayed there, and some of whom were transferred to" the Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center because of their condition, McEwen said.

He also said 10 or 12 non-students were apprehended for alcohol violations and "four or five inebriates were turned over to their roommates, as they did not require special attention."

McEwen characterized these violations as expected. "You know there's always going to be some alcohol-related problems ... and that's unfortunate, but you're prepared for it," he said.

Hanover Police also saw an increase in the number of incidents, according to Sgt. Patrick O'Neill. "We actually made more arrests this year than we had in previous years," he said.

According to a press release, Hanover Police arrested three Dartmouth students.

David Ford '97 was arrested "regarding the theft of a police officer's hat," the press release said. Ford declined to comment last night.

The press release also stated Jeremy Segal '97, an Undergraduate Advisor at the College, and Salvatore Spataro '96 "both were arrested for possessing a controlled substance."

"Although we need to send it away for tests, the substances is allegedly marijuana," O'Neill said.

Segal declined to comment last night and Spataro was unavailable.

Seven other students were taken into protective custody because of alcohol intoxication, according to the release. Hanover Police did not release the names of those students.

There were also several incidents of vandalism this weekend, which are "being investigated," McEwen said, as well as some minor injuries that occurred at the Dartmouth Night ceremony.

"There is nothing major, in terms of reports of serious injuries, that I am aware of at this time," he said.

Both Safety and Security and the Hanover Police said considering the circumstances, they thought the weekend went relatively smoothly.

"All in all," said McEwen, "when you take a look at the big events, things went well ... extremely well in terms of the Freshman Sweep. And we beat Colgate on Saturday, so that's good news."