As Demko returns to teaching

Apparently, Geography Professor George Demko did not think the end of his tenure as the head of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences was a good time to kick back and relax.

Since he stepped down as the head of the Rockefeller Center in 1994, Demko has managed to keep himself busy -- researching a disease that afflicts him, working on three books, traveling and teaching.

Demko, who has been teaching geography courses at the College for seven years, served as head of the Rockefeller Center from 1989 to 1994. Linda Fowler took over as director this summer.

Demko's sabbatical

Immediately after leaving his post as director of the Rockefeller Center, Demko went on a sabbatical, during which he wrote and traveled.

During this time, Demko devoted himself to research of Meniere's syndrome, with which he is afflicted.

Meniere's syndrome, a disease that causes one's ears to ring unexpectedly, causes the victim to have occasional attacks of dizziness and vomiting.

Artist Vincent Van Gogh also had Meniere's syndrome, Demko said. Many believe the affliction is what compelled Van Gogh to cut off his ear.

During his sabbatical, Demko said he kept careful records of where and when he had these attacks, and in analyzing the results, he said he noticed the attacks were related to changes in atmospheric pressure.

Demko presented his findings to a doctor, and the two are conducting a research project to confirm Demko's results. Demko plans to publish his findings in a book titled, "The Geography of Meniere Attacks."

He said he hopes the results of his project will encourage doctors do further research.

This spring, Demko led the Geography Foreign Study Program to Prague in the Czech Republic. He said the most memorable part of the trip was traveling in an old Russian biplane.

Demko and Geography

Medicine is only one of the many subjects that Demko has applied the field of geography to. He is currently advising students on papers relating geography to wide variety of subjects, including rape, music and the military.

Demko also uses geography to gain an advantage in his favorite sport, squash. "Any subject you love, you can study geographically," he said.

Demko said geography has a special attraction and can be related to so many other subjects because of its "lack of boundaries."

Before coming to Dartmouth, Demko worked for the Secretary of State as the director of the United States Office of the Geographer. Demko's position as U.S. Geographer attracted attention when People magazine ran an article on him in May 1988. After the article was published, Demko said he received lecture invitations, letters from forgotten friends and marriage proposals.

"Those were my '15 pages' of fame," Demko said.

Back at Dartmouth

Currently, Demko is teaching three upper-level geography classes, and he will lead a freshman seminar titled, "The Geography of Murder Mysteries," this winter.

Demko said he hopes the seminar will help him "tie up the ideas" and allow him to put the finishing touches on a book he is writing on the same subject.

The book will follow and analyze the evolution of settings in murder mysteries, Demko said. He said he chose the topic as a combination of his occupation as geography professor and his passion for murder mysteries.

Demko is also working on a book titled, "The Geo-demography of Russia."

In addition to teaching at the College, Demko is a member of the Graduate Scholarship Committee, for which he interviews candidates for Rhodes, Marshall and Fulbright Scholarships.

Reflections on Past and Future

Demko said his position as Rockefeller Center director provided a "wonderful opportunity to bring together people from all parts of campus over issues that make a difference," he said.

Demko said one of the major accomplishments of his tenure was the formation of the Rockefeller Student Council.

He said he greatly enjoyed his position, but said he felt he had reached his limits.

"No one should be the head of an organization for more than five years -- you run out of ideas," he said.

Fowler will bring "a new perspective" to the center, Demko said.

"Linda is great," he said. "She has a true interest in working with students."

Demko said the Rockefeller Center "is in good hands."

"Linda will take it onward and upward," he added.

Demko said he has many plans for the future. In addition to trying to complete his current writing projects this winter, he said he hopes to collaborate on a novel with his daughter, who lives in Virginia.

In addition, Demko said he wants to begin a new piece combining geography and literature.