Welcome Class of '99

TheClass of 1999 is a very special class. In addition to being one of the most intellectual classes ever to attend the College, it is the first class in the College's history to have more women than men.

As of last night, the College expected approximately six more women than men to matriculate in the Class of 1999. When College President James Freedman took office eight years ago, only about 38 percent of the matriculating class was female. Through the efforts of Freedman's administration, the number of women in each incoming class has increased almost two percent a year -- a remarkable growth rate. Freedman and Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid Karl Furstenberg should be applauded for their efforts.

We hope the Class of 1999 will realize the incredible opportunity that has been placed before it. While the high quality of Dartmouth's academics is obvious, there is much more to college than academics.

Take advantage of these opportunities -- join the Dartmouth Outing Club, go out for a sports team, go to Sanborn tea, write for The Dartmouth. Challenge yourself -- don't just sit in your room and do homework.

But perhaps the best aspect about attending Dartmouth is the people.You are surrounded by some of the smartest people you will ever meet -- your classmates and your professors. Get to know them. Make the time for that late night debate over coffee in Collis Cafe. Ask your professor to lunch. You can learn as much from the people around you as you can in a classroom.

Once again, welcome to Dartmouth. Take advantage of your time here and experience it to the fullest. Four years go awfully fast.