Dartspeak: Learn the lingo you need to survive on campus

anal (adj.): High- strung, uptight, usually of the pre-med sort. beast (noun): The free flowing substance found in most fraternity and sorority basements and dorm parties. Usually served by financially-conscious party-throwers.beer-goggles (noun): A mental apparatus induced by alcohol, to satiate physiological needs, often leading to a lowering of standards.Bema (proper noun): The site for pre-trip get-to-know-you games.Stands for Big Empty Meeting Area and originates from the Greek word for sanctuary.birks (noun): See "crunchy"blitz (noun): Dartmouth's version of a telephone call. (verb) to send an electronic mail message.boot (verb): Regurgitate, spew, vomit. Generally occurs after rapid ingestion of mass amounts of beast.campus po' (noun): Short for campus police, otherwise known as Safety and Security, uninvited guests at freshman gatherings. They are often mistaken for EBA's delivery men.chug (verb): Usually in contest form, this tests your ability to make a cup of beer disappear quicker than your comrades.crunchy (adj): See "granola."The D (noun): You're reading it!! A year's subscription guarantees mail in your HB five times a week.Dartmouth relationship (noun):deal (verb): To cope, usually spoken with little sympathy. "You have two midterms and a 20-page paper do tomorrow?Suck it up and deal."dis (noun): A complete rejection or dismissal.'Shmen 1 to shmen 2: "That guy from Chi Gam the other night never blitzed me back." Shmen 2: "He dissed you hard."drill (noun): The foundation of the Rassias method -- waking up at 7:45 every morning to have someone snap their fingers at you and demand that you speak in a language you do not yet understand.EBA's (noun): Everything But Anchovies. Pizza and very famous chicken sandwiches delivered until 2 a.m.Emmitt (noun): A decidedly unintellectual New Hampshire native who drives a rusty '68 Ford pickup and collects food particles in his or her beard for a late night snack. How these people evolved to be what they are is still a great anthropological mystery, but inbreeding certainly played a key role.frat rat (noun): One whose social, cultural and intellectual life revolves around the tap and pong table of a particular fraternity or sorority.For example an AD rat, a Zete rat, etc.grim (adj): Utterly disgusting. The floor of a frat basement, studying for an Orgo final.granola (adj): Used to describe the long-haired, wool socks and birkenstocks-clad DOC member often found eating Collis entrees out of a reusable container.gut (noun): A course for the mentally comatose who feel the need to learn about The Fate of the Earth,Clouds, Clapping for Credit, etc. HB (noun): Stands for Hinman Box, the mailbox in the Hop that will always be filled if you subscribe to The D.Eh: What? This is what Canadian students say. No way, eh? Let's go play some hockey. (Mind you don't slip on some maple syrup, eh.)hook-up (noun): The typical Dartmouth relationship lasting less than, oh, two hours. But there are long-term hook-up relationships. See "scam."HTH (noun): Stands for Home-Town-Honey. The mythical girlfriend or boyfriend from home that everyone who has the chance will break up with during the first month of school. Those who haven't broken up with their HTH by then probably haven't had anyone bat an eye at them since they got to Hanover.For some reason, it seems that most HTHs attend state schools in Massachusetts.Jimmy O. (proper noun): An affectionate term for the College President, James O. Freedman.Joe (noun): Another word for pot belly, the full frontal testimony to the fattening life of beer, pizza delivery and Ben & Jerry's "Vermonsters," sundaes for 10 people.L.S.-Play (noun): Ten weeks of "studying" (the term is used loosely) in a foreign country. Considered a reward for two terms of drill.mung (noun): The mixture of spit, dip, pee, beer, vomit, dog hair and dirty water coating the floor of any sorority or fraternity basement after a real rager. not much (noun): The only imaginable response to the inescapable greeting, "What's up?"Observe Corridor (noun): Another name for the Reserve Corridor, a good place to study. . . and be studied. See "scoping."Parkhursted (verb): An interesting leave term option available at Dartmouth named for Parkhurst Hall, the building which houses dozens of domineering Dartmouth deans.'Shmen 1 to Shmen 2: "Where is Joe Bob these days? I haven't seen him around in a while." Shmen 2: "Didn't you hear? He got Parkhursted for rushing the field."pong (noun): A game found in most basements consisting of a piece of painted plywood, some paddles, a ping pong ball and beer.Many different forms abound -- Ship, Tree, Bra and the ever popular Slam.pop (noun): The carbonated beverage drunk in Iowa after coming in from a hard day's tractor plowing.psyched (adj): Another word for excited. Usually used to incite someone into doing something."Get psyched!"rage (verb): To party like it's 1999.random (noun): Any non-Dartmouth student who invades the campus on big weekends like Homecoming and Winter Carnival.'rents (noun): The people who will come to visit you on Parent's Weekend.scam (noun): A terribly vague word which can mean anything from making eyes at an attractive member of the opposite sex to doing things with that person that your mother would certainly never approve of.scope (verb): Not a mouthwash. To scout out potential scammers. Usually done from a choice vantage point in Thayer or in the '02 room in Baker. 'shmen (noun): That's you!'shmenu (noun): Also known as the Green Book. "Her name was Betty, wasn't it? What page is she on? There are so many Betties here."stride of pride/walk of shame (noun): The morning after the party victorious strut or downcast shuffle. Follow nights of beer-goggling.Super suck (noun): Get your minds out of the gutter! It's the central vacuum cleaning system in the dorms. Really.ted: a nerd, one who tools on a Friday night.'tails (noun): Shortened version of cocktails. Usually served in your friends' rooms. It's not beast, so take advantage of it.Thayer layer (noun): Dartmouth's version of the freshman fifteen, resulting from too much time spent up in Topside with budds Ben and Jerry.tool (verb): To engage vigorously in one's studies, usually the night before a big paper is due or an exam. wassup: A common Dartmouth greeting, often a rhetorical question. (see "Not much")