New International Director selected

The College announced Monday the appointment of Guilan Wang as the new Director of the International Office, ending a nationwide search.

Wang is currently the Director of the Eisenhower International Leadership Program at West Virginia University.

Wang will start as director on Aug. 1.

During the three years before she began her current work, Wang was the assistant to the director for program development in the office of the international programs at West Virginia University.

Wang will replace Judith Mackenzie, who has moved to Seattle, Wash after directing the office since its creation in 1987.

The committee drew six candidates from a pool of 200 people before choosing Wang to replace Mackenzie.

The International Office advises and provides services for the more than 400 international graduate and undergraduate students on campus.

Dean of the College Lee Pelton said he feels Wang will do a good job directing Dartmouth's international student body.

"She was chosen out of a very competitive pool," Pelton said.

"I am confident she will work well in this area," he added.

However, some international students expressed reservations about the selection process.

Maria Popova '97, a Bulgarian student, said Stephen Silver, associate director of admissions, was the candidate from the College that many students felt should receive the appointment.

"I don't think that Wang is not qualified," Maria Popova '97 said.

"I personally think that the Dartmouth candidate would be a better choice for the international students," she said.

Dan Nelson, Senior associate dean of the College headed the search committee that appointed Wang, but could not be reached for comment.

Wang also could not be reached for comment.