Board approves newly elected Trustee

Dartmouth's Board of Trustees, during its meeting this weekend, approved the appointment of Jonathan Newcomb '68 to the Board, College spokesman Alex Huppe said.

"It's great to hear they approved me. I'm excited about doing it, and I'm looking forward to it," Newcomb said.

He said in a telephone interview from New York he has "a lot of learning to do" and hopes to adjust to the new position.

Newcomb, chief executive of Simon and Schuster Inc., was elected by the College's alumni to replace Ann Fritz Hackett '76, who will leave the Board in June.

There are 16 members of the Board -- seven "Alumni" Trustees chosen by alumni and seven "Charter" Trustees selected by the Board itself. The College President and the Governor of New Hampshire hold ex-officio seats.

The Board approved the College-only budget for the 1995-96 fiscal year, Associate Treasurer Win Johnson said. The College-only budget includes funds allocated for undergraduate programs.

"We had kept the Trustees up to speed on budget planning, so they just confirmed all of that work by voting the budget," he said.

Johnson said the College and the Board will continue to discuss the general budget, which he said will most likely be finalized at the next meeting in June.

The Trustees also conducted routine activities, such as voting on the promotion and tenure appointments of professors, Huppe said.

Acting Dean of the Faculty Karen Wetterhahn told The Dartmouth three professors were scheduled to appear before the Board. The College has not yet released the names or results of those hearings.

Huppe said the Trustees also formally approved the nine honorary degrees to be given at the College's Commencement ceremonies in June. President Bill Clinton, who will receive an honorary doctor of laws degree, will deliver the keynote address.